Wheel puller

Nearholmer

Hello,

Does anyone know of a supplier of ready - to-use wheel pullers that will work with typical diameters/types of 0 scale loco driving wheels?

I have couple of locos that need wheel- attention, and I seem to have lost the gear/wheel puller that I had, and am trying to dodge having to make one. The mandrel (if that is the right name) on the end of the screw-in bit in the middle needs to be c2mm.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Kevin

I bought one of these. Whilst designed for traditional Hornby [check the maker's name!] it works fine on reluctant scale Slaters wheels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hornby-0-Gauge-Trains-Wheel-Puller-Brand-New-Unused-/371342838261?_ul=AR&nma=true&si=hQuTuKj2vvNJ8t%252B3wgszTKVKLwA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Dava

Perfect, Dava, and since I want it for ancient locos, not modern, the makers name is a reassurance!

I acquired a Bassett lowke 0-4-0t recently, knowing that there was something not right with the quartering, but it was (a) in otherwise excellent condition (b) cheap, and © pretty rare, in that they only made them for two years. Turns out that some innocent has fitted the wheels not quartered, but in phase, so it "crosses its legs" if loaded with train to pull. What I didn't spot was that it has press-on, not nut-fastened wheels. And, can I find my old puller? No!

Kevin

Well, good and slightly less good things happened.

I got a puller from http://vgibson.co.uk/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=161 it is basic, but effective.

The BL tank is now quartered correctly, and runs a treat, but in the process I cracked one wheel.

The puller has large-headed bolts as "dogs", and I had to file the domes down to allow them to slip between frames and wheels, which wasn't much of a task, but, because the dogs engage right at the rim, they can exert quite a moment, even when going very gently, which is how the crack occurred, I think. I shall be undertaking more filing, to get the dogs down to a size where they will fit between spokes, ideally to engage direct with the hub.

Fortunately, spare wheels are available, so I may lay a set in, just in case, thinking that the supply may dry-up one day.

The puller is probably OK as is for modern wheels, the issue of cracking that I've hit being common with old wheels, especially Masak ones.

Kevin

Archived