Zimo 648 sound decoder problem(s)

coachmann

Today I got stuck into finding out why the Digitrains 648 decoder in the 66XX 0-6-2T was playing up. Today it wouldn't even run on the rollers. I removed the little orange bead thingies from the motor when fitting this sound decoder into a GWR 56XX 0-6-2T and it ran like a charm a week ago. It has had these stupid episodes since the day it was fitted to a 57XX two years ago....It it is sooo sensitive. It will run for weeks with no problems then all of a sudden it refuses to set off. By this I mean it starts to run then stalls as if the track is incredibly dirty. Naturally I clean it and also the wheel treads but to no avail.

Eventually I got it going and left it running round for a while. It seems to have settled down. One strange thing is it quietly emits sounds of a speeding loco and whistle even when stationary. I have heard the same thing on a Digitrains 'Castle' decoder on Youtube. Very odd. I have never had any problems with the Digitrains Zimo 645 and 644 decoders.

• RMweb Premium

Have you asked Digitrains about this?  Clearly there should be no sound of a speeding train, however quiet, when the loco is stationary.  If the decoder is faulty, then although it is two years old Digitrains will replace it with a new one, including the sound file, for £15 plus P&P (as far as I am aware, this only applies to Zimo decoders bought from Digitrains).

DT

Thank you for your response. I did mention the peculiar secondary sound to Digitrains soon after purchase and was told this should not happen and to return it. However, the sound stopped, or so I thought, but returned later. I was mainly interested to know if anyone else with Zimo 648's had experienced the reluctance to move even when wheels and track were perfectly clean. It was as if the decoder had a trip that cut out to give poor behavior! Once my loco had been persuaded to pick up speed and was left to run continuously for 10 minutes or so, it seemed to have sorted itself out. I will take the offending loco into the shed later this morning to see how it behaves.

Archived