Gosty Hill, small mid 80`s layout.

Tove

• RMweb Gold

Hiya mate

Noooo chance!! Glad to hear things are progressing. Yes I've gone down a similar route with Arksey for lights, although I've yet to fit them to the boards.

Pleased that your still progressing things tho!

Rich

Just a couple of quick pic`s to show things are still moving along...all be it slowly at the moment!.

first up i`m building a double arched road bridge, with a slight incline for the road on the left hand side of the layout

The main core is 6mm & 12 mm MDF,and this is slowly being covered with Slaters plasticard.

At the moment it look`s a right mess with the green filler,and those arches were a right pain in the backside!.But what you see here is the seconed attempt at them,and i`m still not completely happy!.

post-19751-0-44913800-1491933499_thumb.jpg

Next pic is one of the Grampus wagon`s in the first stages of weathering.

post-19751-0-09213100-1491933585_thumb.jpg

Still a lot to do with this one,but hopfully with the coming days off i can have another crack at it!.

Oh yes forgot to mention, that the track has been painted also,and now i`m in the process of working out the route of the point rodding,so that

i can glue the bases in postion before ballasting.......Happy day`s!

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian

Looking good. What's the problem? Why aren't you happy with them?

I know you've still got somethings to do, but they look good to me!

Rich

I`m probably being too critical of myself Rich,a bit of habit i have,and why thing`s take forever to get done!!.

Anyhow..onward and upward`s.....

Brian.

Hi Brian,

Bridge looks good to me, once you have painted and weathered it I think you will be more happy with it. Grampus looks good too.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter,

I shall have a good go at the bridge tomorrow as it`s a bank holiday,and i have the day off,so we`ll see how far i can get with it.

Brian.

Had a good few hour`s today on the bridge,and got most of the main build done....

post-19751-0-04332600-1492198493_thumb.jpg

Still need`s a little filler here and there,and the top and bottom of the string course (raised brickwork running the full lengh) need`s fitting as well. After which i can add the coping stones to the bridge parapet and the pilasters,then finally i get to work on the road surface and pathways.

Cheers,

Brian.

That's looks good to me Brian,

Nothing wrong with that at all mate! Hope mine comes out as well.

Rich

I`m sure you`ll have no problem Bud,

As you`ve been doing a good job on your engine shed.

Well i`ve sorted out the other side of the bridge this afternoon.

post-19751-0-49286900-1492373357_thumb.jpg

As you can see i`ve only modelled the main archway and two full length pilasters on this side.This is because you`ll only see the top of the pilasters from the main viewing area,and only the one arch will be seen through the exit hole for the staging tracks.

Something like this...

post-19751-0-11730800-1492373359_thumb.jpg

Still a little more filling here and there to do,including adding a fillet of das clay to add the slight angle to the top of the sting course. Then i`ll clean the whole thing up and give it a coat of grey primer,and see what else need`s to be done.Once i`m happy i`ll move onto the coping stones for the top of the parapet`s.

A question..!

I`m going to need to build three section`s of tall brick retaining wall`s, with arched recesses as in the picture link;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/519786986/in/photolist-MW3yA-8oDpd7-b7iM5X-RbEbMB-8TBuFV-78fQUM-b93KPH-5wcXsY-cqrtE1-8Tni7N-Tq7KQ6-b93MKK-eccQM8-ik1tDw-bdXHAn-iUy4UB-d6gEiL-diWbHH-9txxTp-7q1ABE-ik1fFj-f6SJQh-pLoe7L-iqop8L-fcXUkK-bkVPaP-hEhfDY-fhTLCh-avcc8H-63DEgP-dXZmfd-pTxfVJ-MnPtt9-dnMhQF-apoUSa-S2DwV-mjb64c-oH5wPw-qUjmEK-fBysrV-ejfSeb-9x8QuK-rypEtG-eaL6op-bjUd2B-eawizu-pKQBs-pw1MPN-rj6Ety-q4u7M2

Now,what i was after where some preformed arches for the recesses,and so i was thinking along the lines of using the Wills HO/OO ones.

This is because they look waaay too big for HO/OO,and i thought that they looked more suited to 7mm!.Has anyone done the same?,ie; used these for the same purpose.Or are there alternatives?.

Any idea`s would be greatfully recieved,as i don`t want to try and make these myself,unless i really have too!!.

Brian.

Brian,

Have you seen these on that famous auction site .......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/O-gauge-7-mm-retaining-wall-/152495922216?var=&hash=item2381771c28:m:mmSBM-DmDGDeb1xebZGMpww

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/O-gauge-7-mm-brick-arch-unit-with-plain-underarch-LCC-A-70-00-/152509488493?hash=item2382461d6d:g:hH8AAOSwqu9U6Rdj

Laser cut with brick detail - no need for cladding with plasticard ( unless you want to of course !)

Brian,

Have you seen these on that famous auction site .......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/O-gauge-7-mm-retaining-wall-/152495922216?var=&hash=item2381771c28:m:mmSBM-DmDGDeb1xebZGMpww

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/O-gauge-7-mm-brick-arch-unit-with-plain-underarch-LCC-A-70-00-/152509488493?hash=item2382461d6d:g:hH8AAOSwqu9U6Rdj

Laser cut with brick detail - no need for cladding with plasticard ( unless you want to of course !)

Thanks for the suggestion Andi,

I have seen those,in fact i brought one of his signal box kit`s, but i just could`nt get on with it,so in the bin it went!.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Have you thought about having a word with Phil at Intentio, he might be able to put something together for you at a good price, that achieves what you want??

He's cutting the new cab superstructure for my Ixion diesel at the moment!

Rich

Have you thought about having a word with Phil at Intentio, he might be able to put something together for you at a good price, that achieves what you want??

He's cutting the new cab superstructure for my Ixion diesel at the moment!

Rich

!! Can you throw a little more light on what superstructure he's doing ? And the loco, Fowler ? Would the results be available to others ? Someone doing different bodywork for these new diesels that we now have is an idea that's got to be very close now. If there were say 2 or 3 different cabs, bodies which could be added to say a Fowler then I'd go out and buy a couple more locos. Winners all around, more locos sold, small manufacturers get sales and we all get to have fleets of slightly different locos !

John.

• RMweb Gold

Hi John,

Without Hijacking Tove's thread, I'm rebuilding an Ixion fowler into a centre cab version, following the trend set by Chris Klein! If you have a look in my Arksey thread there's some more details. As for whether it will be made available to others, I'll wait and see how it turns out, but I'm sure if somebody wanted the parts it can be arranged, drop me a PM!

Rich

Hi John,

Without Hijacking Tove's thread, I'm rebuilding an Ixion fowler into a centre cab version, following the trend set by Chris Klein! If you have a look in my Arksey thread there's some more details. As for whether it will be made available to others, I'll wait and see how it turns out, but I'm sure if somebody wanted the parts it can be arranged, drop me a PM!

Rich

That's all very interesting thank you. And with no further ado back to the thread on this very good layout in the making !

John

Archived