Railmaster Turnout Numbering

Crosland

A bit technical, but can anyone tell me how Railmaster translates turnout numbers into the packets sent to the decoder? E.g. if a turnout is defined as number 88 in Railmaster, what DCC address will be used?

This is to try and test an accessory decoder programmed using Railmaster (with the press a button on the decoder and send a packet method) with a different system connected to JMRI.

Andrew

A bit technical, but can anyone tell me how Railmaster translates turnout numbers into the packets sent to the decoder? E.g. if a turnout is defined as number 88 in Railmaster, what DCC address will be used?

This is to try and test an accessory decoder programmed using Railmaster (with the press a button on the decoder and send a packet method) with a different system connected to JMRI.

Andrew

I don't know anything about Railmaster but logic would tell me the address would be 88.

I could be missing the point, pun intended.

Cheers

Ian

It could be 88, or it could be 92, and it might move the point in the opposite direction. Knowing that it is ExpressNet does not help much. The Sprog is similar in numbering and direction to the Roco Multimaus, while Lenz uses numbering offset by four and moves the other way.

It would be nice if the NMRA would correct the specification to remove the inconsistencies so it makes sense, but unfortunately correcting in a meaningful way will make most systems non compliant!

Andrew

Go and have a look at how Rocrail describes accessory addressing in its wikimanual e.g MADA, PADA, FADA, or NMRA. It may/may not give you a clue as to how this white mans magic is done.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Crosland

Normally the point numbering system in railmaster matches the accessory decoder number the easiest way to check is open the planning screen and click on the accessory indicator icon and it will give you the accessory decoder number

regards Matt 

This is one reason I prefer to use the 'Learn' button on the decoder - as it then learns to respond to whatever code (ie with whatever offset the Central Unit applies) the USER has chosen - and additionally use decoders with the flexibility of numbering each output as required.   The only 'problem' then being if you change your central unit - in which case the (re-)learn procedure is much simply and easier than writing to CVs to lots of decoders.

...I have just changed from Lenz LS150s to Train-Tech's CDU dcc decoder (quad or single versions) to 'cure' or 'avoid' a problem experienced with just some of my Roco GEOline points - which ALL have the same Roco end-off switching motors - BUT which on some points (presumably a mis aligned mechanism/switch?) would buzz for the LS150 pulse period, and may or not then switch 8-( 

The Train Tech CDU decoders have 'eliminated' the problem completely, and produced reliable operation ever since.

I'm not sure if they may provide the answer to a point made by Suzie - about differing interpretations of 'direction' (their signals will learn 'any aspect' to either left or right)

With the Roco Multimaus Graphics - the display is Normal and Reverse ...[ but could be interpreted as | for Left and r for Right, as they are the Left and Right buttons]

and their digital point motors match this (without any option in Rocoline!) ...whilst the early Viessmann 4550 digital point motor  was inverted ... later Mk2 versions giving the user the choice.  [it becomes a problem if a double slip is included with an adjacent point to have a crossing on 1 shared number, as I use]      Suzie's comment that Roco is opposite to Lenz in direction could explain why I have found that the Massoth Expressnet Interface resulted in inverted point operation when I tried it on my roco system !!!.    

Archived