Wiring multiple point motors

ejstubbs

One advantage of using a selector switch + push button is that the selector switch can indicate the setting of the points - assuming that you remember to press the push button switch, of course...  It would avoid the extra work involved in having LED route indicators on a mimic panel, albeit with the downside that it relies on the operator for the indication to be correct.

My understanding is that you can achieve the same thing without having to use push buttons if you use stall point motors or servos.

I've actually been contemplating this approach for my control panel, based on a signal box diagram with embedded switches for the track power sections, and the point (and maybe signal) actuation switches lined up below and numbered against the diagram like a lever frame.  I need to investigate the space requirements a bit more but I think I could build it in one of the console-style enclosures, like this one.  It wouldn't look anything much like a lever frame, but the operating procedure would be similar.  At the moment I'm planning to use solenoid point motors, so the push buttons would still be required, but it would be easy enough to blank off the push button switch holes if/when I did decide to change to stall motors or servos.

Why not just use a spring loaded centre off switch?

Keith

Because I like the aesthetics of the lever frame arrangement.

In the end, the fault wasn't the CDU or the point motors. My power supply for these is a 1950's Davenset battery charger fitted with a modern (1978) silicon rectifier which puts out an indicated 17.5v DC off load. It had a loose connection so the CDU wasn't recharging properly.

Following an overhaul it now recharges the CDU between the two contact positions on the lever switch with ease and the lead onto the Up main together with its trap point change over reliably.

Archived