Use of Brake Vans on SR Continental Freight Trains

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone help me to understand whether the Southern Railway would have attatched brake vans to their continental freight trains?

I have a book "International Train-Ferry Wagons" by David Ratcliffe (ian Allan) which says at one point that "The inclusion of a brake van at the rear of an otherwise fully-fitted train for the guard to ride in was a requirement for all trains that included wagons labelled as containing toxic gases", however, this relates to BR practice.

I model the 1938 - 1948 period and so I am keen to know what the correct train formation was at that time.

All help appreciated!

• RMweb Gold

Any freight train which doesn't have the automatic brake operable on the last three or in the past two wagons required a brake van.

If the continental wagons weren't vacuum braked they would require them unless the southern put an air fitted loco on it.

The SR had purpose-built bogie brake vans for express freight trains, which included the train-ferry traffic; the first one were converted from EMU underframes, IIRC, with a subsequent batch being purpose built. Initially fitted with vacuum brake, those which survived into the 1970s received air-brakes. 

During SR days, all freights would have required a brake van, regardless of whether they were fully or partially fitted.

Bachmann do a model of the SR bogie brake, which was sometimes referred to as a 'Queen Mary'. 

Here's a link to a prototype photo:- http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/srbogiebrakevan/h351eabb1#h351eabb1

• RMweb Premium

Les Ayres, one of the supervisors when I started at Dover Ferry, had progressed via the shunter -  freight guard - supervisor route.  

He was a great raconteur, and many times on nights we had a replay of his trips down from London to Dover in a Queen Mary, usually with fully actions winding the hand brake on / off waving at the driver etc. His best tale was of the time he managed to set fire to his van during a very fast trip down Sole Street bank with vans ex Ewer St. It was after this that spark guards were fitted to the vans.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know of photos of the trains anywhere on the web? I've only seen one photo, c1947, with a WD 2-8-0 on the front.

K

I have also got (copyright) pictures in various books with a N class (in 1955) and a Schools (BR period),

Here is a picture from 1967 with E5011 on the front and two brake vans on the rear

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/7367848622/in/photolist-icraUo-7deVWr-d3s3aQ-9o1LQM-ce59GN-4GyQrV-dE83me-ce58ZE

cheers

Thanks, very helpful - and what an excellent archive!

Archived