Dava

• RMweb Premium

I spent Sunday morning on the GCR Friends stand at the Autumn steam gala. Whilst I took the usual loco photos, it was also an opportunity to look at the GCR BR-era freight trains which were shunted at Loughborough.

Here is a pair of BR Conflat A wagons, not in the smartest of condition and a  few years since their last repaint. 

post-14654-0-71177200-1476132166_thumb.jpg

Simple question - to model a BR design Conflat, do you use the Parkside Dundas GWR container flat?

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/pic_PS39.jpg

Or do you obtain a BR 10 foot chassis and build your own top?  There are clearly detail differences such as buffers, brake gear and other items between the GW and BR designs. Is there a BR Conflat kit I've missed?

I realise we're into 'HMRSPaul' territory here  - see for many examples: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/?q=Conflat

The Conflat is a useful wagon, not least because even in the Diesel  era many found new uses, such as runners for 03 shunters and Departmental purposes.

Finally here's a handy Machinery wagon. I also took photos of 16T minerals, brake vans and others, maybe for another day.

post-14654-0-18319400-1476132188_thumb.jpg

Dava

• RMweb Premium

The ones in your photo do seem to have GWR self contained buffers tho rather than BR type? I'm no expert but that machinery wagon is interesting as seems to have quite a short body compared to the wheelbase (ie a small overhang at each end).

I built a Slater's Conflat a few years back - a very well produced kit.  I wanted to model one from an earlier lot than the standard kit and Slater's happily swapped the oleo buffers for standard ones and the 8 shoe clasp brakegear for 4 shoe Morton.

Ray.

The ones in your photo do seem to have GWR self contained buffers tho rather than BR type? I'm no expert but that machinery wagon is interesting as seems to have quite a short body compared to the wheelbase (ie a small overhang at each end).

The early ones were 15'6" over headstocks, with an 8' wheelbase; subsequent builds had longer wheelbases (first 9', then 10'), but retained the short overall length. Many of the last build were delivered as semi-permanently-coupled 'Twin Bolsters', used for 'Engineers' Bar' traffic from various locations to the West Midlands. The solo vehicles ended up as either Departmental stock (crane runners etc) or as Internal Users in various ports.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Dapol wagons might affect sales a little at the prices that they are expected to retail at. I have got one on order. All I think I will need to do is change the couplings to instantor or screw link

Paul R

Archived