Advice on stripping/connecting ultra thin laminated wires

Pete 75C

...I'm sure you know the kind of wire - those spit-thin insulated (laminated) wires that are way way thinner than, say point motor or DCC bus wires.

I have some rather realistic (imho) 3V LED street lights, each with a pair of these wires sprouting out of the base. When trying to expose the core by stripping the lamination back with a razor blade, nine times out of ten, the blade just cuts the wire. Now I could just be ham-fisted, but is there a knack or a trick to this? Someone once told me that by bunching a few of these wires together and inserted them into a choc-box connector, the metal pin will pierce the lamination and make the connection. Well, that just didn't work for me. The lamination would appear to have to be scraped off. Any advice welcome, as the wire is getting shorter and shorter as I manage to cut more and more off by accident!

post-17811-0-30519100-1476170918.jpg

Nice strippers Nick (I haven't said that since I last went to a stag do)... Would they really go down all the way to "next-to-nothing" wire thickness? A moot point actually, because the flame from a lighter worked a treat. Thanks again.

• RMweb Premium

Nice strippers Nick (I haven't said that since I last went to a stag do)... Would they really go down all the way to "next-to-nothing" wire thickness? A moot point actually, because the flame from a lighter worked a treat. Thanks again.

I use them on DCC decoder wires although original purchased to make some bespoke POS cables 

Nick

Archived