0 gauge Ivatt 2F 2-6-0

coachmann

Has anyone experience of the Bachmann Brass LMS Ivatt 2F 2-6-0? Was it a good runner and how did it stack up against the real thing.

Similarly the 0 gauge DJH whitemetal version. I remember the cylinders stuck out rather too much on the ones I painted for other people, but whether this was intentional or not I don't know.

Reason for asking is I need just such a loco for my new layout to work Llanfyllin Branch - Oswestry services and have been searching without success to purchase one new or second hand.

I  have  the  DJH  kit  (part  built),  actually  the  2-6-2  tank  but  likely  the  same.

The  cylinders  were  wide  on  the  original  kit,  intentionally  to  increase   the  clearance  behind  the  slidebars  for  the  leading  wheels  crankpin.

Recent  issues  of  this  kit  have  been  corrected and  the  cylinders are  now  in  the  right  place. 

The  crankpin  clearance  is  tight.

Pete

I have a Brassworks Ivatt and it ran nicely straight out of the box.  I haven't got a DJH one to compare it with but it looks like an accurate representation to me.  I tend to prefer brass over whitemetal and as I only paid 850.00 for it RTR that wasn't much more than the kit price by the time I'd bought wheels and a decent motor/gearbox.  Certainly like the idea of modelling Llanfyllin as I spent many happy hours on Oswestry station where those trains terminated.  Best of luck with your project.

Ray.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived