Uncoupling Electro-magnets from H&M point motors

I will be using Dingham auto-couplers on the new 'Drybrook Road' layout ( http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106306-proposed-new-layout-in-the-forest/ ) and will need 8 electro-magnets for them.  Has anyone tried using the solenoids from dodgy H&M point motors for this?  The core could be made from 5mm stock (studding or bar) which would possibly need reducing in diameter slightly where it goes through the baseboard and track base?

Hi there

H&M coils work fine as electromagnets for uncoupling - used them years ago for DG couplings on N gauge stock.

You will probably find that if you use a suitably beefy power supply that can feed them 16v AC at about 2 amps then the screw you intend using will probably be OK if you drill to just under the sleepers.  If you use machine screws then they can be trimmed to length and will provide the fixing.  Be careful to use a switch that will handle the current draw on these - most push-buttons will not be up to the job.  Spring biased toggle switches are a better option - that's from experience!  One enhancement worth considering is to fit a small red LED in the baseboard next to the magnet on the operator's viewing side and wire in parallel with the electromagnet - this shows the operator the position of the magnet and an indication of when it is live.

Regards.

You will probably find that if you use a suitably beefy power supply that can feed them 16v AC at about 2 amps then the screw you intend using will probably be OK if you drill to just under the sleepers.  If you use machine screws then they can be trimmed to length and will provide the fixing. 

Thanks for this, the power supply will probably not be a problem.  With the fixing of them, are you suggesting that the screws are screwed into a slightly undersize hole in the baseboard so that it taps it's own thread?  If this is the case then I suppose a nut and washer could be screwed onto the other end and used to hold everything in position?

Thanks for this, the power supply will probably not be a problem.  With the fixing of them, are you suggesting that the screws are screwed into a slightly undersize hole in the baseboard so that it taps it's own thread?  If this is the case then I suppose a nut and washer could be screwed onto the other end and used to hold everything in position?

They work fine on O gauge Dinghams but better with DC rather than AC. I just find a suitable nail and cut the head off.

Nick

That's right.

Archived