Not getting a loco address

Black5

I have a Hornby 8F that i`m trying to fit a decoder in. It has no DCC ready label on the box but on removing the loco body there is an 8 pin socket with a 4 pin blank in place.

I`m fitting a Gaugemaster DCC25 OPTI standard decoder which is an 8 pin decoder.

My problem is that i can run the loco on 03 without problem going forward and reverse,

but i cannot give it it`s own number, it won`t accept any.

I`ve fitted decoders to other locos so can understand the basics but i`ve not come across this problem before.

Could it be the wiring in the socket not matching that in the decoder harness, if so, is there a way of rectifying it, or a problem with the decoder itself?

I use a basic Hornby Select controller (i know ) but it works fine for me at present.

Many thanks.

Cheers just now.

Several possible options here.

I assume that when you said it originally had a 4-pin blanking plug, it was using the outer pairs of pins/sockets of the 8-pin socket ??

(These are the track and motor connection pins)

The Select can only program, as I recall, locos from 1-about 60 - after which it assumes they are accessory decoders ???

{I havn't tried the Select for a long time .... it is 'better' when used simply as a 2nd handset - for which its own dcc output is not used 8-) )

The decoder you are trying to program MIGHT have a 'lock' mode ??? - requiring 'unlocking' by writing to another (specific) CV first.

WHEN you use ited with '3' - was this simply the default decoder address - and not after 'programming' it to 3 yourself????

If it was simply the default, then this loco/decoder combination would appear to be failing to respond to the Select.

You have fitted (and programmed) other decoder and locos before: so perhaps you can swap a decoder from one of those, into the 8F, and vice versa ---- check they run on the expected (transferred) number, and then try reprogramming each of them.

This will confirm whether it is the loco, the decoder, or the combination causing the problem.

Have you tried a decoder reset - usually with CV8 > 8 (but not always - see decoder manual)

Not directly associated with reprogramming - but have you checked performance with a 9V battery applied to a separate section of track on which the loco is standing?  - It should run both ways: forward when +ve is on the right (for 00 etc, but not always for G Scale 8-) )  This is a simple and fairly safe way of testing any loco - whether analogue or digital unless it has been disabled by CV.

Several possible options here.

I assume that when you said it originally had a 4-pin blanking plug, it was using the outer pairs of pins/sockets of the 8-pin socket ??

(These are the track and motor connection pins)

The Select can only program, as I recall, locos from 1-about 60 - after which it assumes they are accessory decoders ???

{I havn't tried the Select for a long time .... it is 'better' when used simply as a 2nd handset - for which its own dcc output is not used 8-) )

The decoder you are trying to program MIGHT have a 'lock' mode ??? - requiring 'unlocking' by writing to another (specific) CV first.

WHEN you use ited with '3' - was this simply the default decoder address - and not after 'programming' it to 3 yourself????

If it was simply the default, then this loco/decoder combination would appear to be failing to respond to the Select.

You have fitted (and programmed) other decoder and locos before: so perhaps you can swap a decoder from one of those, into the 8F, and vice versa ---- check they run on the expected (transferred) number, and then try reprogramming each of them.

This will confirm whether it is the loco, the decoder, or the combination causing the problem.

Have you tried a decoder reset - usually with CV8 > 8 (but not always - see decoder manual)

Not directly associated with reprogramming - but have you checked performance with a 9V battery applied to a separate section of track on which the loco is standing?  - It should run both ways: forward when +ve is on the right (for 00 etc, but not always for G Scale 8-) )  This is a simple and fairly safe way of testing any loco - whether analogue or digital unless it has been disabled by CV.

Thankyou for your suggestions.

The blanking plug is using the four corner pins. The 03 address is the factory setting so i haven`t  confused it there.

At the moment the layout is out of action for a couple of days but when i`ve finished the job on it i`ll try your other suggestions.

Many thanks once again.

Have you got any other Gaugemaster DCC25 OPTI decoders?

I have read that the Select does not adhere to all of the NMRA standards so maybe it is an incompatibility between 'command system' & chip?

It sounds like you want to upgrade?

I have another loco with a gaugemaster decoder in it but offhand i`m not sure which one but i`ll investigate.

I know the Select is a basic controller and i think ,as you say, i`ts now time to upgrade, if only to reduce the chances of some of these problems.

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Archived