Pye, a tuning fork layout.

Hello Everyone.

With my carnon stabling point nearing completion my attention's turning to my next layout.

This will be a tuning fork layout and is in the very early planning stages.

Not sure wether to have just fright or a station off on spur and a freight spur.

Pye is purely fictional and the name comes from my fondness for pork pies.

This will be built over the winter.

I need to decide on what format to choose.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hello Everyone.

With my carnon stabling point nearing completion my attention's turning to my next layout.

This will be a tuning fork layout and is in the very early planning stages.

Not sure wether to have just fright or a station off on spur and a freight spur.

Pye is purely fictional and the name comes from my fondness for pork pies.

This will be built over the winter.

I need to decide on what format to choose.

More soon.

Jerry.

Look forward to seeing whatsoever you come up with next.

Hello Everyone.

Thanks Bill_J, progress should start soon, just need to decide what to do with the layout.

Jim:

Thank you for your post, very interesting and I enjoyed reading the history of Pye Bridge.

My version of Pye is purely fictional ( The name came from family and friends taking the mick as I like pork pies a bit to much ).

I am going down the lines of a single road station and a freight siding but this may change.

I have a spare provender store so this will be used for goods,

Possibly some coal staithes too.

More soon.

Jerry.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

After a much needed couple of days away I'm back home and thinking what to do with the layout.

I have decided to have a go at making a boxfile layout.

This is mainly to test uncoupling methods whilst shunting wagons.

Provender store one side and a coal siding the other.

I'll post pictures of progress later.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone.

Well a start was made today on the layout.

Here's a photo:

WP_20161114_21_40_27_Pro.jpg

Everything is loose in the box at the moment and will stuck down properly later, there will be a coal siding and a siding with the provender store.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

I did some work on the boxfile layout today.

Here's a photo:

WP_20161119_20_18_53_Pro.jpg

I laid as base of 5mm foam board down to strengthen the bottom of the boxfile, then fixed the track in place with track pins not pushed fully home.

Grey cardboard was used for the road/yard surface.

A spare tree was put in the corner.

The provender store needs sticking down as does the coal staithes and office.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Glen.

Thanks for your reply, I have another provender store too which came from the very first Hornby magazine, they are pretty good and would be great if you could download them for a small fee.

I'm going to work on the layout tomorrow, been busy lately moving things into new home and what with illness too, it's been a very bad year for illness this year.

I went to the model shop today to get some sky paper so this will be added tomorrow.

More soon,

Jerry.

Hi Everyone.

Well a start was made today on the layout.

Here's a photo:

WP_20161114_21_40_27_Pro.jpg

Everything is loose in the box at the moment and will stuck down properly later, there will be a coal siding and a siding with the provender store.

More soon.

Jerry.

There's no photo?

Hi Jon,

If you read about the history of the pye its quite interesting, Jim on rmweb told me about it, my layout is purely fictitious but if I had more space I would like to model the real one.

I have been feeling tired ( sleep apnea ) so haven't done anything but feeling good today so I going to work on it now.

I will post photos later.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

Hesperus: Yes, you can close the lid but only just.

I have been working on the layout today, here's a photo:

WP_20161204_20_14_20_Pro.jpg

Where the tree is will be fenced off and maybe a sheep or two, need more work around the sides of the boxfile and finish ballasting the point.

Then adding details.

More soon.

Jerry.

Hi Glen.

Thanks for your reply, I have another provender store too which came from the very first Hornby magazine, they are pretty good and would be great if you could download them for a small fee.

I'm going to work on the layout tomorrow, been busy lately moving things into new home and what with illness too, it's been a very bad year for illness this year.

I went to the model shop today to get some sky paper so this will be added tomorrow.

More soon,

Jerry.

Sorry to hear about the illness, modelling is a good form of therapy I think , the longer a layout takes the better the end result,

Take care

Glenn

Thanks Glen,

Yeah its very therapeutic and an escape when swmbo is nagging lol.

Jerry.

I know that feeling far too well lol, im currently building a micro but also due to personal circumstances i dont much time to model anymore so im finding therapy in weathering a london transport pannier for the planned micro 

Hi Glen,

Your micro sounds interesting, I am going to be making a small diesel locomotive out of plastic card as I have a spare chassis picked up for a £1.

That should keep me out of mischief over Christmas.

Jerry.

Hi jerry , now that sounds right up my street!! a chassis for for a pound too! great haul, what type of chassis if you dont mind me asking? and what sort of loco , ive always fancied building a planet diesel loco but never got round to it or found a sutaible chassis cheap enough

cheers 

glenn

Hi Glen,

Well its a Hornby 0-4-0 pug chassis but cut down to make it smaller, then I'm going to make a base plate with a hole cut through it for the motor to fit through and I will build the body on top of that, the wheels etc will be hidden by skirts.

Funnily enough I was thinking of a plannet loco myself, I want something very small for my next shunting micro.

Jerry.

Hi Glen,

Well its a Hornby 0-4-0 pug chassis but cut down to make it smaller, then I'm going to make a base plate with a hole cut through it for the motor to fit through and I will build the body on top of that, the wheels etc will be hidden by skirts.

Funnily enough I was thinking of a plannet loco myself, I want something very small for my next shunting micro.

Jerry.

Excellent idea Jerry, you can get them chassis to run quite well with some tinkering and a bit of weight , there used to be a truncated branch at the back of my house in witham that was used as a siding for a factory there was a planet loco shunting 16 ton mineral wagons there in the 70s /early 80s always thought it would make an excellent if not unique micro subject,

https://www.railscot.co.uk/slideshow/slideshow.php?coy=Eastern%20Counties%20Railway

regards

glenn

Hi Everyone.

I have done a bit more to the layout, I'm not overly happy with it but I'm going to persevere and finish it.

Here is a photo:

WP_20161209_17_18_39_Pro.jpg

Just added a buffer stop and a wall.

Glen:

That line you mentioned sounds interesting, I like the phone of the plannet loco.

More soon.

Jerry.

I think you will find the diesel runs better with all the wheels on the track!

Looks nice and I look forward to seeing future installments.

Your right, I knocked the layout just before the photo was taken.

Thanks for your kind words Chris.

Jerry.

Archived