The Joy of the Archers

Clem

Well,  after 8 months, I've finally got into my new workshop and done some modelling. It won't be fully functional for a few weeks whilst I figure out how to organise it but I have enough surfaces to work on a few wagons including the LMS hopper pictured below, built  with inspiration from Geoff Kent's articles on hopper wagons in the MRJ some years ago. This particular wagon seems to have rivets coming out of its ears and having cut tiny cubes of plastic strip for the larger rivets on the sole-bar, the rivets around all the body work (about 400 in total) really leaves you with only one viable solution, namely Archer decal resin fastner heads or rivets - 3D transfers. Although the task of applying all these rivets seemed very daunting, even though I'd used them before, it soon became clear that, with the radio on in the background, it is quite therapeutic, working through all the lines of rivets required... and it is most satisfying. The underframe has been given a cursory lick of paint, but a proper paint job is next in line for this wagon.

Clem

post-15879-0-89704100-1478976941_thumb.jpg

That looks like really good work, but what scale is it? If N, then truly amazing, but if G perhaps less so, if you get my meaning

Kiwi, sorry should have included that it is 4mm scale EM gauge.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick final pictorial update. Here is the finished wagon.... and pictured with the very slowly growing mixed fleet of iron ore hopper wagons... (also plenty of unfinished items in the background of the second photo... a lot of work to do...)

post-15879-0-59574500-1480591334_thumb.jpg

post-15879-0-72554800-1480591358_thumb.jpg

Lovely model Clem.

A widespread prototype which I'm hoping a kit manufacturer brings out at some point!

Paul A. 

Thanks for the kind comment, Paul. You're absolutely spot on with your point about how nice it would be if it was produced by a kit manufacturer. I'm faced with building at least another 4 or 5 of these, plus a couple of the lower sided 7'9" variety. But if an RTR manufacturer brought them out (as opposed to a kit manufacturer), the chances are the dimensions would be wrong like the Charles Roberts type from Dapol and Bachmann (too long and incorrect wheelbase). I've cut and shut 6 of these so far and replaced the under-frames - see the second photo, but it's a tedious process, particularly getting the ride height low enough to be correct. But if I can eventually get a nice hotch potch of say 35 of different types of hopper then I can hopefully reproduce a couple of those 1950s mixed rake iron ore trains that were so evocative of the line I'm modelling and the era.

Clem,

Can I ask which type of Archer transfers you used? They quote various types on their web site.

Also, were you able to source them in the UK?

Many thanks,

Glover

Hi Glover,

I get them from DCC supplies. I get them in 3 sizes - AR88014, AR88015 and AR88016. For the LMS ore hopper, I used just AR88015, the middle size (0.011"). They are expensive, but that is at source, not DCC. I feel it is worth it as it saves hours of time and produces an excellent finish with evenly spaced and sized rivets with minimum pain. There are a couple of videos on You Tube which give good demonstrations and you'll see from them that a bottle of micro sol is a must. You can try AR88001 as a starter if you're not sure as this sheet contains all 3 sizes, but of course, less of them. Hope that helps,

Clem

Thanks for the kind comment, Paul. You're absolutely spot on with your point about how nice it would be if it was produced by a kit manufacturer. I'm faced with building at least another 4 or 5 of these, plus a couple of the lower sided 7'9" variety. But if an RTR manufacturer brought them out (as opposed to a kit manufacturer), the chances are the dimensions would be wrong like the Charles Roberts type from Dapol and Bachmann (too long and incorrect wheelbase). I've cut and shut 6 of these so far and replaced the under-frames - see the second photo, but it's a tedious process, particularly getting the ride height low enough to be correct. But if I can eventually get a nice hotch potch of say 35 of different types of hopper then I can hopefully reproduce a couple of those 1950s mixed rake iron ore trains that were so evocative of the line I'm modelling and the era.

Yes, there's something quite appealing about a mixed rake of archaic and modern designs all being used for the same traffic. 

Additional to the above, there's the Falcon Brass/Jidenco LNER hopper - though this requires some modification to bring it up to standard, and the etches need a fair bit of bodging to get the hopper to sit in the frames. A couple of wooden-bodies hoppers are available from David Geen, and there's the 13 ton Dave Bradwell one. 51L have a more modern 1/163 design too. 

Also of interest to you may be the Cambrian "Herring" ballast wagon can be modified into a P-coded BR era hopper. Here's my pair, in a half-finished state. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94889-cambrian-kits-gwr-p22-herring-ballast-wagon/page-3

Beyond that, we have to forage for ourselves. I see you've also had a go at an Appleby Frodingham one, which looks nice. Which under frames did you use for the standard BR design?

Paul A. 

Yes, there's something quite appealing about a mixed rake of archaic and modern designs all being used for the same traffic. 

Additional to the above, there's the Falcon Brass/Jidenco LNER hopper - though this requires some modification to bring it up to standard, and the etches need a fair bit of bodging to get the hopper to sit in the frames. A couple of wooden-bodies hoppers are available from David Geen, and there's the 13 ton Dave Bradwell one. 51L have a more modern 1/163 design too. 

Also of interest to you may be the Cambrian "Herring" ballast wagon can be modified into a P-coded BR era hopper. Here's my pair, in a half-finished state. 

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94889-cambrian-kits-gwr-p22-herring-ballast-wagon/page-3

Beyond that, we have to forage for ourselves. I see you've also had a go at an Appleby Frodingham one, which looks nice. Which under frames did you use for the standard BR design?

Paul A. 

I used parkside PA08 BR/RCH wagon underframe kits as a starting point for the BR design based on Charles Roberts. There is nothing close to the correct profile 9' wb under frame available. Unfortunately it is not deep enough so I chop off the lower edge of the channel protrusion of the sole bar and add a new one beneath it (in sections around the W-irons). It gives the illusion of the correct depth of sole bar without increasing the ride height. It's a bit of a bodge but once painted, it becomes difficult to spot. I've got some Dave Bradwell hoppers in as well as D1/163 from 51L, although I'm pushing it for the latter as the first ones only came out in 1955 - and I'm modelling 1954/55 on my layout. I also have a Cambrian hopper to build or modify at some stage as you've suggested. Looks like we've been going through the same hopper wagon thought processes, Paul. I'm hoping to have a bash at a few more LMS ones in the new year. Here's a close up shot of one the BR version. I'm afraid the camera exposes some less than convincing paintwork at this distance. It actually doesn't look too bad from normal viewing distance. At least you can't see the join for the cut and shut :-)   

post-15879-0-28393900-1480794488_thumb.jpg

Archived