Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Far Yard - A micro first Attempt in O gauge.

birdseyecircus

Hi Paul,

I like your low relief buildings, and the development of the yard as time has gone on.

I have the same M&M bolster kit, not a bad kit but extra detail can be added easily enough.

You are making a good job of it but one little point if I may. You have bent the brass the wrong way. The half etched recesses where the brass needs to fold should generally be on the inside of the bend. This aids the bend and helps it make 90 degrees easier. 

Most kits are bent this way and usually there are instructions stating so if its the other way.

I have recently purchased some nice 175 degree Tin/Lead solder from China and it is really good and a fraction of what the outlets over here charge, I can get a link up for you if I have a root through my Ebay if you're interested. 

As for flux, I've always used an Acid paste flux (Like plumbers flux) but I've recently tried the non acid flux sold by 'Building O'Gauge online' and found it rather good with little cleaning up after use required.

Keep the good work going

Jinty ;)

Hi Jinty. The link to the solder sounds good. I may give it try if you send the link.

I have access to plumbers solder too so will try that instead of liquid flux.

Paul

No problem, I've actually found this one which is 183 degree and a 60/40 (Tin/Lead) solder from this country. The labeling is the same as my reel.

This is only £14.99 for a 500g reel!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soldering-Wire-Tin-Lead-60-40-2-Flux-Welding-Iron-0-7mm-20Gr-to-500Gr-/282089050345?var=&epid=1576031844&hash=item41add150e9:m:mAEWvsp2oBmUiW2DAS8gSJw

Where I got mine from don't have any listed but it was around the same price.

Some UK businesses are charging near £50 for the same size reel!!!!! :O

As for the flux, I have the Powerflow plumbers flux, which I've used for a long time with good results, but as I mentioned I have tried, on the advice of Mr Fitness, this liquid flux from 'Build O'Gauge Online', which undrr a small amount of use I'm finding quite acceptable, but without the strenuous cleaning afterwards that the plumbers flux requires, and the fact that there aren't any obnoxious fumes.

Here is a link to the liquid flux.

http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=52

Jinty ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...