West Works

After 30+ years of not doing any modelling at all, l finally took the plunge and made a start. I have always liked industrial/goods railways so here goes. 

Background
Inspiration for this layout came from images found online of the factory railway sidings at Huntley & Palmers (Biscuits) Reading. Further investigation found details of the various buildings in North Works and South Works that occupied the site served by the railway. Although the biggest material brought to the factory was coal (there was an extensive coal yard to the north), many other types of materials were brought in such as sugar, flour, milk, molasses etc. for making the biscuits and cakes, timber and metal as it also had its own timber yard for the construction of boxes and packing cases etc. and a metal works for the biscuit and cake tins, there was also a large engineering works, labatories and barrel makers all accessed by the rail system. The works also had its own miniature railway system which allowed small trucks/carts to be pushed along tracks to various parts of the factory.

The Layout
West Works is an attempt to depict just part of the large factory complex of Dunkin & Dippin (Biscuits) Ltd in 00 gauge. Due to space restrictions at home the layout was designed to be built and operated in an area 4ft by 1ft with plenty of shunting potential and to include versions of the ‘inglenook’ or ‘tymesaver’ shunting puzzles. This would allow it to be set up reasonably easily on either a table, work surface or even an ironing board. The design also allowed for addition of ‘extension’ boards (each 2ft long) which can be added at one or both ends, when space allows, which would increase and vary the type of traffic going through the works. 

Construction
The baseboards are laser cut by Tim Horn using 6mm plywood, who kindly cut a hole at either end for the 'extension boards' (his laser cutting is far better than my ham fisted attempt would be). They will be painted black with 5mm black Foamboard fixed to base and backscene. Track will be Peco code 75 with Electrofrog pointwork and can be operated using either by DC or DCC. Point control will be via a Megapoints Controller and micro servo’s (providing l can understand the instructions).

The image below gives an idea of what l am trying to create, the buildings to the front left has a loading bay and the one to the right front will be left 'open' so that you can see inside it. The track entering the building at right rear will be accessible through the hole cut in the end of the boards. 

post-3756-0-00495000-1479205645.jpg

And this is how it looks now (apologies for the sun glare)

post-3756-0-54021900-1479206222.jpg

Having had the baseboards for some time and not got any further, l joined a local club, so thanks must be given to fellow members of the Stratford & District Model Railway Club for allowing me the space to build this layout and their support and encouragement in proceed with the layout (although not a lot gets done between talking and drinking tea)!

I hope this is of interest, I am sure that l have missed out a lot of information but did not want to waffle on. I will post pictures of its progress as it happens...

Now where's those chocolate digestives gone!

Archived