Nissen hut diorama in boxfile

After talking about the new Ratio kit fot a Nissen hut in another thread,  thought it more appropriate to introduce the box fle diorama layout I am buiding over coming week to show how to build 3 types of Nissen hut, using simple plastic kits.

It will be some type of military installation, with a small section of narrow gauge track. Hopefully if all goes well that will be wired up. At one end track disappears under a road bridge, but other is an open ended Nissen hut built usng my 3D printed sections.

The new Ratio kit is being used , combined with a more accurate roof from a vac formed model, the Ratio roof being used to create a bigger hut(20ft wide) and a 24ft wide hut usng the Roco Minitanks one which is actually also 1/76 scale. Various 16ft hut ends use a mixture of Ratio and vac formed parts.

Intension is to have it at Rainhill/OO9 group Christmas show.

Started cutting box, possibly the most difficuly task, especially as box fle was starting to come apart.

Track is a mixture of Peco OO9 flexi, a Tomytec point, and some of my 3D printed track sections.One is for siding,the other 2 pieces are board joining pieces. As the main track is code 80, and my 3D printed track uses code 100, it was necessaryto file off a fifth of the base of code 100 rail on pieces that were to join to the code 80 rail. Everything was then solded up to make sure it stayed together.

As the box file is very thin I added a piece of hardboard, superglued down(its quicker ),

nessington1-sm.jpg

To fix track down and to ballast the main piece of track, I used Wilkinsons brown Rhino wood filler(basically a non solvent filler). This was spread on the section where the track would be, then the complete track was put in place an pressed down,Excess filler was then removed. The pieces of 3D printed track were then superglued down. The board joining section next to point , was raised using a thin piece of card. Filler was then spread around.

nessington2-sm.jpg

When the filler dries I will start raising the rest of the surface, add the bridge which partly covers the point, and the can start on positioning the Nissen huts. The trac is wired up, just before the point. The point is motorized, by the standard Japanese system using a DC supply rather than an AC supply. I will keep it in place, but don't think it will be used that much as it is easy to change piont by hand.

The lid will have 2 complete huts and one frame. Possibly miight add a section of standard gauge, but will have to see how it all goes together.

more pix
Apart from adding some detail, figures etc finished
nessington4-sm.jpg
From left to right.
Roco Minitanks hut representing 24ft wide hut, next is a 20ft wide hut which uses the Ratio roof, warehouse doors and plasticard cut to correct end profile. Next is twoof my 3D printed sections joined, then an end off one of the Amera models. The others all use Amera roof sections, the first have a plane end with Ratio warehouse doors, and the other two using the Ration ends.

Almost forgot there is also an hut frame, representing a 16ft wide hut being built.

To connect to fiddle sticks I use my board joing sections. The fiddle stick code 100 rail is soldered to a short length of cde 100 rail, and just slides into place. The box and two fiddle sticks have independent power supply, with wire connections.

Archived