Heljan Warning Panel Yellow - match for Heljan

norman

• RMweb Premium

Howes Models in Kidlington told me years ago that Heljan "use our paints" - i.e. Railmatch. However, the man who told me that didn't work in the model railway section... On the other hand, the fact that they produced a limited edition of WCRC maroon round the time Heljan did the WCRC 33s adds weight to the claim. Am I right in thinking there are two (three ?) warning panel yellows in the Railmatch range? Perhaps try one of the others to get your match? 

The Heljan yellow has a definite orange tinge to it. When touching in things like unpainted lamp irons, or jumper cables (33/1), I use a standard Humbrol Yellow with a hint of orange mixed in. 

Even if I don't get a perfect match, streaking the touch-up colour downwards, e.g. straight under lamp irons and other projections, gives the impression of rain water and dirt streaking.

Howes Models in Kidlington told me years ago that Heljan "use our paints" - i.e. Railmatch. However, the man who told me that didn't work in the model railway section... On the other hand, the fact that they produced a limited edition of WCRC maroon round the time Heljan did the WCRC 33s adds weight to the claim. Am I right in thinking there are two (three ?) warning panel yellows in the Railmatch range? Perhaps try one of the others to get your match? 

Hi and thanks for your suggestion.

However, Heljan using paint from Howes hardly seems credible but yes I'll try a different Rail Match WP yellow and see if that is any better.

Norman

The Heljan yellow has a definite orange tinge to it. When touching in things like unpainted lamp irons, or jumper cables (33/1), I use a standard Humbrol Yellow with a hint of orange mixed in. 

Even if I don't get a perfect match, streaking the touch-up colour downwards, e.g. straight under lamp irons and other projections, gives the impression of rain water and dirt streaking.

Hi and thanks for your suggestion.

I agree the Heljan yellow is altogether tending towards orange.  I'll have a try at a home blend and see if thats better.

Norman

Archived