Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cheap DC controller for testing pre chip fitting

Fettster42

• RMweb Premium
********* Re  the  above  comment  added  by  ELTEL  to  my  post!********************** 

It  is  I think totally  irrelevant  whether  the  amount  mentioned £79  is  not  a  lot  of  money to  me!  the  point  I was  making is  to  simply  compare  the  price  of  a  power  unit to  that  of  a lower  end  locomotive in 00

I think  it  has  to  be  appreciated  that  our  hobby  is  not  a  particularly   inexpensive  hobby  and  I appreciate that some  modellers   are  struggling in  these  strange  financial  days  we   are going  through  at  the  present  time[/quoteI s

I still feel spending £79 to check a locomotives is overkill

Checking with a 9v battery will check if the locomotive runs

However running in a locomotive on analogue before fitting a DCC chip is good practice.

Terry

For what it is worth I like to run in on DC on my rolling road before fitting a decoder so that I know it runs well before landing on the DCC tracks. That way I know that the motor and mechanism is working as it should before the decoder and it isn't some odd setting on the decoder that I have added like making acceleration maximum value!

• RMweb Premium

For what it is worth I like to run in on DC on my rolling road before fitting a decoder so that I know it runs well before landing on the DCC tracks. That way I know that the motor and mechanism is working as it should before the decoder and it isn't some odd setting on the decoder that I have added like making acceleration maximum value!

Yes I agree and is exactly what I do with any new locomotive

Happy modelling

Terry

Archived