If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello & Thank You

GK_McGregor

Hello my name is Greg, I live in northern Washington State, USA. I have been following Rmweb for the past 2 years. 

I wanted to say thank you to all who have posted their modelling, layouts and prototype information for inspiring me. There is a wonderful & very talented group of modellers on Rmweb.

I have been a railway modeller for about 40 years now, mostly HO scale North American & Continental European prototypes, with a half dozen unfinished(stalled) layouts. Now that my interests in British/Scottish Railways have been rekindled I hope to start a small Scottish layout in the next year and with luck I may finish it. 

My other interests include genealogy, tracing my families roots back to England & Scotland(1600 & 1700's).

Best Regards, Greg 

Welcome Greg, keep us posted on your developing Scottish layout plans smile.gif

Thanks for the welcome 10800.

My plans are to model in OO scale a small through type Scottish Station in 8ft by 2.5ft plus fiddle yards on each end.  The area will be north of  Callander or maybe the Aviemore area, C&O or HR lines(not yet decided) in the mid 1960's.  On my layout Steam will always play a big roll even if the Timeline is a bit late. I just need a real Scottish steam locomotive in OO scale ! (That's another topic I have been following.) The start of this layout(or dream) is still at least 6 or months away. 

Greg

Hello Greg and welcome to the forum!

An impressive pedigree you have there, do you have any British locos yet?

I'm sure that when a suitable Scottish model RTR steam loco does appear, it will live up to your expectations!

It's certainly an interesting subject to model - Scotland, beautiful scenery and a wonderful railway history to go with it.

Please let us know more about your US and Euro interests too!

Good luck with your plans and enjoy yourself on here.

Cheers,

John E.

Hi John E.

My last layout(HO scale) I started 10 years ago and dismantled 5 years ago, before a big long distance move. It was useful for testing different track types(Peco, Tillig, Central Valley and some hand laid with spikes)and train running, no scenery. It was a 27ft long dogbone style double track mainline with loops at each end, track on 3 levels with a hidden storage yard on the lowest level. I ran a mixture of both European and North American trains , but not at the same time.  Sorry no photos. 

The European engines were mostly early German prototype steam(G8, 10 & 12, P8, T9, T20, BR52, BR75(Bad), BR96)and a few electrics. The european rolling stock included about 150 goods wagons & 60 passenger cars. Roco, Fleischmann, Liliput, Trix, etc.

The North American engines included a couple of Mikes(Genesis), a Shay(MDC) and 1st and 2nd gen diesels: F3A's(Genesis), GP7s, GP30+35's, RS10's(Proto 1000/2000), VO1000(Stewart) and about 75 freight cars. GN, NP, SP&S, CP & CN; All equiped with Kadees and metal wheels(a must for clean track).

Now the Euro & NA trains have taken backseat, while I concentrate on a Scottish layout for the future. I have a small start on rolling stock & 2 Heljan diesels a class 26 & 27 and a pannier tank. I am looking forward to purchase a Clan(MacGregor of course), a Black Five also, just waiting for my tax refund. Most of past 2 years model railway spending went towards research(British & Scottish Railway books). 

Best Regards, Greg

Archived