Birmingham Hope St- BR (ex GCR) Minories Style Urban Layout 1965

danstercivicman

Cheers :). It's great seeing how these layouts developed, I enjoy your GWR stylings, I don't think mines at your level yet :)

I am already thinking of my next layout and will stay GCR... I like the ex LMR hand me downs and the fact that as the line declined the stock became more manageable!

I must admit, I do have a very soft spot for the GCR and visit Loughborough when ever I can, I would have loved to have seen it in it's heyday. It's a good flexible prototype and an excuse to run some proper Engines.

Well....  I nipped into my local model shop (Tennants Trains) and they had the Springside loco lamps I needed, the second hand Airfix Non Corridor Suburban 57ft Comp and a Bachmann Mk.1 BSK!    The BSK is Eastern Region so that needs a number change, likewise with the Airfix Comp. 

So after checking the B2B's (the Bachmann coach was miles out) and fitting Hornby coach wheels to the Airfix Comp and checking the B2B's I decided to test them out....

The Crab was on passenger duties today after a Type 2 failed at Marylebone so it hauled the Semi Fast in.

The Ivatt 2MT seems to be getting around the local suburban routes and now has a three coach set!

I have one more Bachmann BR Mk.1  Comp on order (M Region) and then all of my Semi Fasts will be Mk.1's.

I have seen a lovely bargain on Hattons- the Heljan Class 26 but... I have spent all my pennies! 

Enjoy and sorry for the brightness of the pics!

And yes, fixing the last lot of point rodding is definitely overdue!!!

post-22023-0-78623400-1490632165.jpg

post-22023-0-38332700-1490632166.jpg

post-22023-0-94607900-1490632166.jpg

Edited by danstercivicman
  • Like 11

Nothing wrong with the pics Dan, or the Crab for that matter, all very nice mate.

Thanks very much :)

I do like the Hughes Crabs... I just wish I had a goods yard so it could haul some minerals around. :).

I also wish I had more overtime to get the Class 26... there's always next month...

• Like 1

Well, I think I am planning the replacement to Birmingham Hope Street...

It will be based on the Minories plan (again) but now called Majories as it will be super sized!   It will still feature the same throat arrangement but it will utilise the full 4-5m space allowing for seven coach trains.  The station will be elevated on viaducts/higher than the backscene buildings and foreground.   This will give more scenic depth and a perception of a layout running through a busy conurbation (thinking GCR Leicester Central). 

It will stay Birmingham Themed and be my 'what if fictional' plan. 

It will be Code 75...

I will add a small goods yard and the platform No.3 will have a goods arrival line next to it (I have not yet finalised the turnout facing).

Comments welcome! 

All I need now is ££££££££ :(

Scan0024.pdf

• Like 5

On 28/03/2017 at 14:33, danstercivicman said:

Well, I think I am planning the replacement to Birmingham Hope Street...

It will be based on the Minories plan (again) but now called Majories as it will be super sized!   It will still feature the same throat arrangement but it will utilise the full 4-5m space allowing for seven coach trains.  The station will be elevated on viaducts/higher than the backscene buildings and foreground.   This will give more scenic depth and a perception of a layout running through a busy conurbation (thinking GCR Leicester Central). 

It will stay Birmingham Themed and be my 'what if fictional' plan. 

It will be Code 75...

I will add a small goods yard and the platform No.3 will have a goods arrival line next to it (I have not yet finalised the turnout facing).

Comments welcome! 

All I need now is ££££££££ :(

Looks good and I think it'll be a cracking layout. The goods arrangements are a far more practical plan than Cyril Freezer's original goods depot equipped version of Minories.

If you're being a purist you might need a trap point to protect the platform three passenger line from the goods yard though if that's not actually a passenger road then the passenger lines are protected by the pointwork. If it is then simply moving the first set of points after the goods yard entry back a bit would give room for that. I don't know whether the goods arrival line would also need a trap but somebody here will. 

Is the second kick back road on the right had side serving an industry such as a dairy?  Good idea to add to the shunting.

When serving smaller towns the typical British goods yard would have sidings for mileage, goods shed/dock and coal.  I'm not though sure whether a small goods yard like this in a large city would include just a single coal siding as there would probably be a dedicated coal yard elsewhere. British cities consumed so much coal that I think a local yard would either handle a great deal of it  or none at all. Birmingham Moor Street would be a good example of a yard handling a wide variety of traffic but AFAIK no coal while the LMS Rewley Road terminus in Oxford was a fairly modest passenger station but it had quite extensive coal sidings.

Because Birmingham Majories is on a viaduct (an excellent idea IMHO) and they cost money the goods yard would be as narrow as possible but still wide enough for the carts and later lorries to get in between the mileage sidings (wagon lift to a low level goods shed as well?) .

I think the arrangement of the release crossover is more flexible in the sketch than in the plan as this would both allow for slightly longer goods trains to be run round and for a couple of parcels vans to be parked between the crossover and the buffers on platform three. 

Edited by Pacific231G

Thanks very much for the feedback :)

Yes, you are right on all point and I think that a trap point would be a good idea!

I think that a small goods yard mainly handling van freight would be more appropriate than a coal yard- this would normally be handled by a large coal yard with drops and like you say sidings for miles!!!   I'm think perishables like fruit and meat/fish.

The two sidings will handle diary as in my current Minories plan...   Majories will 'imagine' a loco shed off scene...

I have received my last parcel for the month (from hattons)...  A Bachmann BR Mk.1 CK M Region.

Next month... Heljan Class 26 and a Hornby TSO Mk.1 (maybe)....

I will now start planning Majories for earnest but completion will be some time away....

Other comments and feedback welcome.   Here are some shots looking down the platform and at the new Semi Fast Stock.   I now have 2x Semi fasts but need another 5MT...

post-22023-0-42546400-1490714493.jpg

post-22023-0-82831700-1490714494.jpg

post-22023-0-39852700-1490714495.jpg

• Like 6

Oh and can someone help-

1) Is Peco Code 75 Insulfrog available?   (I have no intention of ever running DCC).  I can only find Peco Code 75 Finescale on Hattons which appears to be E-195 etc which I think is electrofrog?   I like being able to set the points and isolate sections. 

My suggestion would be to use the biggest points you can. Obviously there's a trade off, no point having huge points and 2 coach trains, but likewise it'll be better with long points and 5 coaches than it would with 7 coaches trundling through set track points.

Oh and can someone help-

1) Is Peco Code 75 Insulfrog available?   (I have no intention of ever running DCC).  I can only find Peco Code 75 Finescale on Hattons which appears to be E-195 etc which I think is electrofrog?   I like being able to set the points and isolate sections. 

All Code 75 is Electrofrog mate, including a Diamond Crossover. Have NO FEARS about Electrofrog, no special treatment needed really, I'm using them on Trewithen on DC / Anolog and the ones out on the Main Yard / Line are modified, but the 3 Way and the 2 in the Dairy / Bay are out of the packet. 

All Code 75 is Electrofrog mate, including a Diamond Crossover. Have NO FEARS about Electrofrog, no special treatment needed really, I'm using them on Trewithen on DC / Anolog and the ones out on the Main Yard / Line are modified, but the 3 Way and the 2 in the Dairy / Bay are out of the packet. 

That's good to know!  I think Code 75 looks more realistic!   I'm not very good with electrics...

Right...

I realised my first Majories plan had some serious issues.... It did not follow CJF's throat very well and therefore I have planned two more ideas.

All track will be Code 75 Peco with Bullhead for the goods facilities and bays...

1) Idea 1- Minories style with goods yard-

Pros- The Station being higher than the backscene will add depth and the goods yard will add operational potential..

Cons- It's really hard to get to the Station.  It is almost impossible to use my uncoupler which is essential as the plan works when the Station Pilot...

2) Idea 2- Minories style with lower goods yard-

Pros- The Station is accessible.  There is lots of operational interest and it seems more prototypical.  The goods yard uses the lower level well and it makes for a good viewing angle.

Cons- The backscene will need to run around the operating well- this will make photos better...   I can't think of any other cons except its harder to build!

Please see attached plan!

Scan0025.pdf

• Like 2

My suggestion would be to use the biggest points you can. Obviously there's a trade off, no point having huge points and 2 coach trains, but likewise it'll be better with long points and 5 coaches than it would with 7 coaches trundling through set track points.

Hello,

I will be using Peco Code 75 Medium Radius on the mainlines...

I have printed the turnout plans off and they seem to be pretty good in the flow sense :)

Hello,

I will be using Peco Code 75 Medium Radius on the mainlines...

I have printed the turnout plans off and they seem to be pretty good in the flow sense :)

For just an extra inch or 2 I would go for Long Points for the Main Lines if you can, well worth measuring and having a look Dan.

Looking good Dan. I especially like the idea of two distinct levels for separate goods and passenger operations. Can I make a suggestion or two?

# Have a look at the large radius Peco Y points. If you can work those into the plan they will give you the combo of large radius curves and relatively short length.

# Try to draw out your plan full size and pose your stock thereon to check siding lengths etc before committing.

# AnyRail is an excellent free program for layout planning and will facilitate the full size print out - I glue A4 sheets together of projected layout plans to get a very good feel of how it will look.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Regards,

Brian.

Looking good Dan. I especially like the idea of two distinct levels for separate goods and passenger operations. Can I make a suggestion or two?

# Have a look at the large radius Peco Y points. If you can work those into the plan they will give you the combo of large radius curves and relatively short length.

# Try to draw out your plan full size and pose your stock thereon to check siding lengths etc before committing.

# AnyRail is an excellent free program for layout planning and will facilitate the full size print out - I glue A4 sheets together of projected layout plans to get a very good feel of how it will look.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Regards,

Brian.

Those are very good tips, I have printed off some long turnouts and some long Y's.   I have found that it adds 2 inches but it looks really good.   It will still leave almost 3m for the platforms which I think should accommodate 7 coaches easily :) 

Pics to follow

• Like 2

That's good information, thank you :)

Here is the station throat with long radius points. 

Please note this is exact to CJF's plans, the lower goods level points are an asymmetric 3 way and a long radius Y.

I will then prob fan the 3rd platform line out with a medium radius point and possibly a run round switch at the far end or I will add two lines from the head shunt as a DMU stabling point/diary... (to be decided). 

Ultimately as someone has pointed out the viaduct would be expensive so minimising the space makes sense.   Also I guess with a run round at platform 3 I would have a 3a and 3b...  

I don't want to overcomplicate things but I think the run round for the bay would be helpful?

post-22023-0-07281900-1490815232.jpg

• Like 3

Well... I have measured the space I have for the throat and the station boards.   The overall Length is 3400mm.  

I can divide this into one large station board of 2100mm and one of 1300mm, or 2x 1700mm.   This will allow a 6 coach rake in the bay platform (which is the smaller one).  

The width of the top level will be 400mm and the lower level 400mm.   There is 3500 mm by 600mm available for the fiddleyard which will sit above a single bed (which has to be easily removable).

I have decided that medium radius points work better.  I need to have a proper road this time behind the station building and the long radius are abit too long (unless) I accept the throat will run behind the big support post that's here in the loft (currently the scenic break will be there)

Overall its a good long term project and I have also been thinking about the possibility of having the high level terminus and goods yard OR...   a High level terminus and a low level through station.   This would be very much a long term project and the idea is that the lower level would be a GWR station (think Wolverhampton Low Level.  

This would be 'GRAND PLAN'.   However it may be too much :)

Comments feedback most welcome!

post-22023-0-95935200-1490884691.jpg

Scan0026.pdf

• Like 3

Really nice layout that I've managed to miss until now, and I enjoyed reading through the previous posts. I'm another fan of the Minories style, due to the "playability"; its also nice to see some proper signals too!

As for your dilemma over medium vs large points the only thing I would add is that if the point is from a straight section diverging onto another straight section, or curving in the same direction as the point, then mediums are fine, but if there is any sort of reverse curvature then large radius look better, particularly with passenger trains, in my humble opinion; I say this only because I had a similar dilemma, and I also appreciate the trade off with train lengths.

Looking forward to further developments!

Martyn.

Cheers :). That makes sense, I think I may use large radius for the main points minories is famous for and then s long y for my additions, it's amazing what space they gobble up... quite frankly it's amazing what space railways gobble up!!

I have had many other ideas but keep coming back to minories as it's very good operationally

Two rival designs for the layouts future:

2) I had a great time on Saturday visiting the GCR with my folks.   I have therefore drawn up the idea for a GCR 'Themed' through station.   This would be the largest layout plan and would feature two fiddle yards at either end.   It would allow 6 coach trains to use the platforms and as much as possible the curve section would be hidden.

Please let me know what you think.

2) Plan 2 is a Minories style terminus but bigger (Majories)... This is still being planned!

Meanwhile the 5MT has finally got a decent coal load!

There is also a shot of the final area I need to finish off!

Scan0035.pdf

post-22023-0-77236800-1491205515.jpg

post-22023-0-32083100-1491205516.jpg

• Like 3