derelict shops

Starting point

For this project I used a reference picture with a row of derelict shops. I never follow the picture to build a copy.  The picture is the base to create the scene. Every part of the building will get another appearance. In this way even a small scene can look interesting.

Color scheme

For this building I created carefully a colour scheme. I have put the colour scheme below. The idea of using a color scheme I found in an interesting article about the use of colour in movies.

post-11675-0-16477700-1480689768.jpg

For the choice of the textures I used the scheme as a reference. Most textures are from the High Street shopfronts from Scalescenes. The brick covering of the shopfront is aged brown brick from Scalescenes and for the garden wall I also used the brown garden wall textures from Scalescenes. The grey plywood textures are from CG textures, made to size and the shop sign is made using the RGB colours that fit the colour scheme.

Shop signs

The shop signs are created by myself using Publisher. One of the advantages for me is that I can save my Publisher creation as a jpeg file.

The pawnbrokers & jewellers shop

For the choice of the textures I used the scheme as a reference. Most textures are from the High Street shopfronts from Scalescenes. The brick covering of the shopfront is aged brown brick from Scalescenes and for the garden wall I also used the brown garden wall textures from Scalescenes. The grey plywood textures are from CG textures, made to size and the shop sign is made using the RGB colours that fit the colour scheme.

The Laundry

Textures for the Laundry are from Scalescenes, for the brick, windows and shop and Smart Models for the curtains.

The window textures from Scalescenes I found to light and to grey. I used pastels to give them a more poorly maintained appearance. Colouring them with middle brown and sepia, faded with a cotton bud, gave the right result.

The ironmongers shop

The shop is made with different textures from different kits and texture sheets from Scalescenes.

The give the diorama a lot to look at I gave it a totally different appearance with a lot of details.

post-11675-0-95695300-1480689831_thumb.jpg

​the whole building

post-11675-0-14497500-1480689969_thumb.jpg

​the shop fronts

Finishing:

I will finish the scene by placing a British Railway Mechanical Horse in front of the Laundry, delivering some boxes of washing powder.

As usual comments, information or suggestions are welcome.

Kind regards,

Job

• 3 weeks later...

Genius work there! The shutters on the end look so life like and rusty. Have you by any chance seen leon S-D on flickr? https://www.flickr.com/photos/21094292@N02/ Just thought I mention it as there is a wealth of photos there of derelict shops and the like. Handy place of reference and ideas for derelict buildings and shops. 

Thanks for your compliment. I had a look at those beautifull pictures of derilect shops. Especialy to create the right details and atmosphere they are very usefull.

Archived