RMweb

66779 Evening Star, Model Rail issue 230, Dapol Collectors Club confusion

John Urquhart

A RTR model of 66779 has been anticipated since the prototype was unwrapped and so I was a little excited by today's Model Rail magazine which announced that Dapol Collectors' Club were offering it for £85, plus membership.

The article appears to encourage contacting Dapol but - guess what - the Dapol site has nothing whatsoever about the model. The MR article further refers to the running number as 66799 which will be no use in a web search because, of course, the TOPS number is 66779, and, in another bit of unforgiveably poor journalism, does not identify the scale of the model.

The only reason I can think of for joining the club would be to have access to the model, but I am not parting with £25 only to discover what I suspect from the price, which is that it is an N scale model - I model in 00.

So, sloppy journalism, what is it?

Edited by John Urquhart

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

It is most certainly N.  Somewhat amis perhaps, but since Dapol don't do a 66 in OO I would suggest it's an understandable error of omission on MR's part.  Given that it's the season of good will  "...and all that swaddling..." I think we can be a touch relaxed about it.

The non-member topic on the Dapol Digest can be found here:

https://digest.Dapol.co.uk/forum/n-gauge-models/diesel/class-66/659-66779-evening-star

HTH

Regards, Gerry :locomotive:

Guess what - the Dapol site has nothing whatsoever about the model. The MR article further refers to the running number as 66799 which will be no use in a web search because, of course, the TOPS number is 66779, and, in another bit of unforgiveably poor journalism, does not identify the scale of the model.

The only reason I can think of for joining the club would be to have access to the model, but I am not parting with £25 only to discover what I suspect from the price, which is that it is an N scale model - I model in 00.

It's a Collector's Club model and those who are members of the collector's Club have been informed first. I see no reason as to why they must instantly put it up. Those who are part of the club were made aware of it via the Dapol Digest. So saying that the Dapol site has nothing about it is untrue.

I am sure you can let a little typo go by...Those who know better will easily know what the correct number is and I don't see why they have to mention the scale. Dapol produce a Class 66 in N gauge and have not announced or shown interest in doing a Class 66 in OO gauge.

Unfortunately I don't see sloppy journalism, just a small print error which is easily forgiven. I see it more like a thread on RMweb just to stir up some noise.

Afterall your signature says "Mean well, speak well and do well". Let us apply that here.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

A RTR model of 66779 has been anticipated since the prototype was unwrapped and so I was a little excited by today's Model Rail magazine which announced that Dapol Collectors' Club were offering it for £85, plus membership.

The article appears to encourage contacting Dapol but - guess what - the Dapol site has nothing whatsoever about the model. The MR article further refers to the running number as 66799 which will be no use in a web search because, of course, the TOPS number is 66779, and, in another bit of unforgiveably poor journalism, does not identify the scale of the model.

Sloppy journalism? Well you are clearly the judge of that and it's 'encouraging to see that you haven't let Seasonal goodwill get in your way. In fact two people produced 18pp of news in one working day, immediately following a working weekend at the Warley show, so they might just being excused for not ticking every box. In fact, it's an 'N' gauge model because Dapol doesn't make a 66 in any other scale. Happy Christmas! (CJL)

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

Arrived today, running in on rolling road - usual dodgy snappery...

post-6883-0-67610800-1496404579_thumb.jpg

This had better be my last 66, somehow total now at 26 inc. 4 dummy, although if the LT66s are ever done in N... :sarcastichand: 

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...