Class 58 Sound

Despatcher

A nice easy one I hope. I have inherited a Heljan Class 58. It is weathered and sound fitted. However compared with the rest of my fleet of 30+ sound locos neither the sound or the limited number of functions available compares favourably. As I never heard a 58 in the 12" to 1' version, I have no idea if it sounds like one or not. I realise the sound may be better if it had a better speaker but it would still have limited functions. I also understand the total subjectivity of sound. Most of my locos are the excellent Zimo decoders with Activedrive from Digitrains and Zimo speakers. So, what I want is decent sounding decoder for a Class 58 with a goodly range of functions. Opinions about pairings with speakers would be welcome too. Thanks.

A nice easy one I hope. I have inherited a Heljan Class 58. It is weathered and sound fitted. However compared with the rest of my fleet of 30+ sound locos neither the sound or the limited number of functions available compares favourably. As I never heard a 58 in the 12" to 1' version, I have no idea if it sounds like one or not. I realise the sound may be better if it had a better speaker but it would still have limited functions. I also understand the total subjectivity of sound. Most of my locos are the excellent Zimo decoders with Activedrive from Digitrains and Zimo speakers. So, what I want is decent sounding decoder for a Class 58 with a goodly range of functions. Opinions about pairings with speakers would be welcome too. Thanks.

Get a Howes class 58 sound chip. Highly reccomended. Then reblow the one you have to suit. 

I have heard of people using Iphone 6s speakers to very good effect these days, they can be bought for only a few pounds on Ebay and do seem to give a good range of sound, they are also relatively small so should fit without to much work. check out you tube for more details.

I have been very happy with the Howes' sound in my Heljan 58. It is an older project on a LokSound v3.5, and doesn't have a huge number of functions, but it does capture the character of the 58 extremely well, with decent speakers (I have a bass enhanced speaker in mine, with a standard round one in parallel).

Archived