Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Farmer's Drove late 70s in the fens

sf315

Evening Steve,

Do you wire in section switches or do you just rely on the points to isolate each siding?  I like the idea of not having to do loads of wiring for a fiddle yard that might not be used again (on mine that is).  Also, what are the radius of your curves on the main - I'm concerned about some of the stock I have - What will you be running RtR-wise?

Looks almost complete now - really smart as usual.

Cheers, Andy.

Edited by theplasticbrummy

Andrew

I just rely on the points to isolate the trains why over complicate things and put extra wiring in. The points are code 80 insulfrog.

The curves are all 9" radius settrack curves. Every N gauge continuous run layout that me and Pete Latham have built use settrack curves. On Shaweport I used to propel a train of mark 3 coaches and a DVT with the loco at the back and this was round said curves and we never had any problems. Tanners Hill is all settrack curves and you've seen that at first hand and know what runs on itt without too much trouble.

Why not build a small test track oval. Mine is PECO set track starter set laid on a peice of board and used for trials and running locos in. Hope the above helps.

Yes it's looking ok but there's a lot of wiring to do underneath.

Thanks Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

Not much to show on the layout, but the points are being wired up so most of the work is underneath soldering wires, Have used SEEP point motors and will be using stud and probe for switching.

thanks

Steve

• Like 2

Hello all a shot from this morning.

47035 shunts the yard. The grain hoppers are next for the rusty treatment.

Still busy in the main wiring up point motors and putting in a couple of extra uncouplers in the yard. That's really what I am doing here checking I am going to drill my holes in the right place.

Thanks Steve.

post-5955-0-69386500-1493461799.jpg

Edited by sf315
  • Like 15

Thanks Dave you need to be getting on with your entry. It'll soon be July mate.

Re an earlier post about garish painted stock cars.

I intend to put one on a trailer in the yard. Went to a classic banger meeting yesterday for ideas on paint jobs.

Thanks.

post-5955-0-68147700-1493546920.jpg

post-5955-0-97474000-1493546934.jpg

• Like 2

Don't think I'll bother with the comp now

Disgusting of Market Harborough

Don't be like that Dave.  You know we all look forward to seeing what you've come up with - It's the high point of the week(end)!

Sure Steve's layout is STUNNING but that doesn't mean it will win (if there is a prize that is) - It could be as bent as last year when George A won the "Award for the most S-Kits items on a layout"....  Need I say more?

Cheers, Andy.

Thanks Dave you need to be getting on with your entry. It'll soon be July mate.

Re an earlier post about garish painted stock cars.

I intend to put one on a trailer in the yard. Went to a classic banger meeting yesterday for ideas on paint jobs.

Thanks.

i was there last nite steve,,,some awesome cars,especially that 1928 citroen,,,liking the new layout

Don't be like that Dave.  You know we all look forward to seeing what you've come up with - It's the high point of the week(end)!

Sure Steve's layout is STUNNING but that doesn't mean it will win (if there is a prize that is) - It could be as bent as last year when George A won the "Award for the most S-Kits items on a layout"....  Need I say more?

Cheers, Andy.

Andy,

That is unfair the layout complied with the rules, it was not the judges fault if the owner runs SKits, plus the prize is a selection of SKits items from the owner.

Cheers. 

Mr Wide

If you gave everyone 5ft by 4 ft you'd have acres of space. Not these herberts whose idea of a micro layout is 10 foot long!

Sorry to have hi-jacked your thread Steve. Btw, what do you mean 'getting on with my entry'? There's ages yet!!

I believe the correct term is, "FA**IN' HERBERTS!", Dave.

And anyway!  What's wrong with a 15' micro layout?

IP#6

Cheers, Andy.

What I mean Dave is you've probably got many shows and this means not much time for your masterpiece between now and July.

Hoping to carry on tomorrow doing a bit more wiring. Thank goodness for bank holidays.

Wish I could have a 5 x 4 feet board for a layout this one as stated is 6x2 in total.

Thanks Steve

Mr Wide

If you gave everyone 5ft by 4 ft you'd have acres of space. Not these herberts whose idea of a micro layout is 10 foot long!

Sorry to have hi-jacked your thread Steve. Btw, what do you mean 'getting on with my entry'? There's ages yet!!

Hope theres a prize for the layout that started as the size in the rules of the competition but has grown in the fiddle yard dept.

To be honest Dave i dont think you could cope with a 10 foot layout.

Just imagine how much the vehicles,buildings,stock and anything else that wasnt glued down could be moved around in that amount of space when you went for one of your legendry 3 hour strolls at a show. I saw what happened in 2ft 6" the other year at Warley.

Steve

Edited by sf315
  • Like 1

Not much to do for my competition entry Steve. Only needs 3 bridges and an embankment on it. Oh and maybe a small hut.......only 2 points to build (remembering Walbys axiom!).......wont take long!!!!!!

You building Three Bridges then, which part??

• Like 1

Another shot to tempt you all with.

Class 25 waits in the headshunt in between shunting. The signal in the foreground will have a ground signal attached on a bracket platform for entry into the yard. The one for taking the right hand part of the passing loop will be on the ground to the slightly to the right for shunting moves that require the use of that road. The semaphores are Dapol working ones but the ground signals will be static.

Steve

post-5955-0-39506700-1493658192.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

An update on the layout. All the wiring for points, uncouplers and signals have been completed and will now work from a control panel. It all needs testing now and will then be tided up underneath so it doesn't resemble a birds nest.

On the stock front I have made a start on weathering the Dapol grain hoppers. The 16 ton minerals that will be used for the sugar beet traffic have also been weathered and now just need loads making using the poppy seeds I obtained a while ago.

Thanks Steve.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

With the debut of Lymebrook Yard at DEMU showcase out of the way I can concentrate on Farmers Drove. The layout is set up and I have the points working ok now just had to swap a few wires over to get them in the correct order for the stud and probe control panel. Unfortunately I have to replace two of the through loops as i caught the rail as I was moving it and ripped the rail out of the chairs on the ends. I hadn't fully pinned and glued the ends as I normally do on the tracks as yet so that will be done this weekend. Next to try are the uncouplers and signals. Hopefully they won't give too much trouble. Looking forward to sometime next week stocking the fiddle yard upwith stock and giving it a good running session.

Thanks Steve.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Steve, I know its a bit late in the day, but that signal in the last shot needs moving back away from the points toe. Its far to close to it. At least the other side of the bridge.......

Andy G

No it's not late in the day as they're not fixed its just placed in. I have taken them off as I build in case I damage them. Yes your right it ought to be further back I will look at it. Thanks for the heads up.

Steve