First steps in scratchbuilding

Pete 75C

I would add some window detail to the end wall something like the left hand side of your building in the image. A plain grey wall would look awful IMO.

Can I ask a question about what is behind windows How much space do I need behind the glazing if I intend to paint the room black. Or even have a black wall immediately behind the window?

Dave, I see what you mean, but if I dress the front (non-scenic) edge with a couple of windows, I think the building will look "wrong" if you see what I mean. The windows will assume that's the end of the building in real life, whereas in reality, it extends much further down the street, unfortunately beyond the front limits of my baseboard.

Re: the black rooms, I certainly understand what Kevin's getting at. My attempts at giving the rooms a little depth by painting the walls and adding a tiled floor simply cannot be seen at all and it was perhaps a pointless exercise. However, I genuinely don't know if it's worth setting the black partition back from the window. I'm sure I've seen other buildings where a sheet of black card has been placed directly behind the glazing. Hopefully someone will know.

I would model the building as per the dimensions and photo shown then literally slice through the building in line with the profile board.

Thanks for that photo... that's exactly what I mean. I am actually tempted to build this apartment block one floor at a time, starting with the covered walkway and then the first floor slab. Done in this way and using a straight edge, it shouldn't be too hard to keep the building end exactly in line with the fascia as it gets built up. I'm not sure how confident I'd be slicing the entire structure. I see the potential for disaster!

Dave, I see what you mean, but if I dress the front (non-scenic) edge with a couple of windows, I think the building will look "wrong" if you see what I mean. The windows will assume that's the end of the building in real life, whereas in reality, it extends much further down the street, unfortunately beyond the front limits of my baseboard.

Re: the black rooms, I certainly understand what Kevin's getting at. My attempts at giving the rooms a little depth by painting the walls and adding a tiled floor simply cannot be seen at all and it was perhaps a pointless exercise. However, I genuinely don't know if it's worth setting the black partition back from the window. I'm sure I've seen other buildings where a sheet of black card has been placed directly behind the glazing. Hopefully someone will know.

Thanks for that photo... that's exactly what I mean. I am actually tempted to build this apartment block one floor at a time, starting with the covered walkway and then the first floor slab. Done in this way and using a straight edge, it shouldn't be too hard to keep the building end exactly in line with the fascia as it gets built up. I'm not sure how confident I'd be slicing the entire structure. I see the potential for disaster!

The slicing comment was actually meant to be figuratively speaking but I suppose I did word it in such a way that it could be read build it then get something like a large saw and cut it in half.........!!!!!!!

Must read what I have written next time as I could become responsible for lots of half cut models???

Kevin

The slicing comment was actually meant to be figuratively speaking...

That's a relief... I tried sawing a resin building diagonally once. It ended badly!

Well, if I'm honest, it annoys me a little when (a very few) RMWeb members verbally and rudely turn their virtual noses up at folk who populate their layouts with RTP buildings. "You're not a proper modeller if all you can do is open a box" being a typical comment. Me? I don't much care if someone's spent 200 hours tiling a roof with individually cut and weathered paper slates or if someone's just hyper-delighted with their latest Skaledale building. The hobby known as railway modelling has a myriad of different interests and skill levels and that's exactly as it should be. Everyone is a learner when first starting out and sometimes harsh comment can cause people to give up there and then. I happen to possess a skin about three inches thick but I do sympathise with those that take criticism to heart.

What great buildings, and a refreshingly different subject.  Very well observed and beautifully executed, if I may say so.

I don't buy RTP resin buildings, simply because I can't afford them, and, besides, I too, found that there was really nothing available to meet my particular requirements, but, I do agree with you about the snobbery you describe, and I think RTP models are as good a basis for a convincing layout as anything.

But, the advantage of scratch-building is that you can have any building you want! 

I agree with all the comments.

Why not use whatever is to hand whether that be ready made or scratch built, mix and match is what I say and it's what I have done for years.

With regard to interiors I have never done them as if you look in real life windows appear black, only the curtains/blinds can normally be seen and it is not until a light is put on the interior becomes visible.

All the buildings in the station picture are scratch built with no interiors which I think looks about right when viewed from say 6ft, (1.8m) this will roughly equate to looking at a real building from 430ft (130m).

Next time the sun's out!!!! and it's dry!!!! and warm!!!! (so that could be a while then?) take a look at a building from that distance and see what you don't see with regard to both the interior and external details.

With the next picture it's of a farm building which I a modified from the Skaledale range by repainting so this makes it look different and makes you think where did this come from, so why not take a ready made one and tweak it which makes it not only look different but personalises it to your layout. Incidentally on the left hand side to the rear is the scratch built creamery which works very well with this picture. 

The last one is straight out of a Skaledale box but standing next to a scratch built garage.

So I say use whatever fits your layout and let the imagination take over.

Kevin

Scratchbuilt, ready to plonk, who cares ? Still one of the best layouts on RMweb.

Allan

Ever tried St Pancras Ed !

Cheers.

Allan.

No.  Never tried a cathedral, either.

Still finding my feet with my slightly wonky cottages!

Trouble with a big station is you need lots of track and lots of long trains.  Modest and bucolic is proving hard enough!

• RMweb Premium

Re interiors, I agree that, generally, nothing is visible, but it might be worth putting in a floor (useful for strength as well), and indeed a mid building wall to prevent a view straight through a building, unless its an open-plan office block. I also put curtains at windows, where appropriate, as it suggests a "lived in" room, and it further reduces the chance of seeing the empty interior even with the curtains drawn back. The curtains aren't really that noticeable, although they do show a bit more where a window is modelled open, but their absence may be more obvious than their inclusion (if that makes sense!).  

One place where I have made a basic interior is a building with an open door. I wanted the door left open to imply a warm day and that train crews come and go regularly (rather than have static figures on the layout to suggest life) and the empty interior was very obvious. But the interior extends only to what is visible through the door, and is not very detailed; that's all it needs to be to give the effect.  

In an effort to illustrate that curtains will blind out the definition of windows I have put up a couple of samples where the windows can be fully appreciated and add a sharpness to the building.

A lot of what you see in the real world, and to an extent on models, is reflection and very little else and in this event I stopped hanging curtains 40 years ago and, now in order to combat dust, I don't even add glazing !

Cheers.

Allan

post-18579-0-57710000-1483540672_thumb.jpgpost-18579-0-29363800-1483540700_thumb.jpg

In an effort to illustrate that curtains will blind out the definition of windows I have put up a couple of samples where the windows can be fully appreciated and add a sharpness to the building.

A lot of what you see in the real world, and to an extent on models, is reflection and very little else and in this event I stopped hanging curtains 40 years ago and, now in order to combat dust, I don't even add glazing !

Cheers.

Allan

attachicon.gifMY PICTURES 243.JPGattachicon.gifMY PICTURES 247.JPG

I agree Allan.

Years ago I realised that glazing a window was counter productive as the when viewed from a distance it appeared too glossy and showed much to much reflection for my liking. Something you don't see in real life unless the sun is shining on it.

So now I don't glazed but do add black card that has a rough matt surface that hides the interior. The only interiors I have done on my current layout is to the goods and engine shed.

An early picture of the station building shows what I mean, the windows are highlighted by the black card but nothing within and further enhanced especially if a matt finish can be obtained.

Thanks for the comments Allan.

Kevin

post-8925-0-40521600-1483547994_thumb.jpg

Archived