Train Tech signals - Function setting

The Black Hat

Hello all, 

Im wondering about switching signals to Train Tech ones that can be controlled by DCC. As a result Im wondering two things;

1. How many numbers can a signal be set to - ie will it take a 3 digit number, or just 2. 

2. Has anyone got experience of programming them using an ECoS?

Thanks in advance...

The TrainTech signals program simply by 'Learn' Push Button (/link) - they will learn whatever address you send after pressing the learn button on the signal - there is no special #programming mode' required on the controller: just normal operation, and if you wish to change your mind, they can be reprogrammed just as easily. NOTE the flexibility about left or right  .... if you get it 'wrong' first time, simply do it again pressing the other direction button on your controller.

So the 'addresses' are effectively 4-digit (1-2000 on many controllers**).  It is no different on an ECoS controller to any other.

( **Although some refer to the addresses as a 'module' and 4 output pairs .... most now use flat addressing ...1 digit per point/signal )

However - because you may be wanting to configure a graphic display on the ECoS at the same time (or soon after?) ... that is a separate process described in the ECoS manual, and nothing to do with the physical accessory.

When you are making use of more than 1 T-T Signal, you MAY wish to choose adjacent numbers, or not, or for distant AND home, the same numbers, for example, so that distant and home alsways change together.  With their recently announced range of 'linked' signals you may wish to read their on-line instructions before purchase, so that you choose the correct versions for your layout ( left right feathers, boxes etc etc .... 

Since T-T signals and their accesory decoders (quad or single) are 'freely programmable' (any output=any number) for accessory numbering (like the Lenz LS150, with its 6 pulsed output pairs),  but not any decoders which are locked into blocks-of-four (eg Lenz 100, Hornby,Bachmann/ESU/ZTC/most makes....)   you may want to optimise your accessory decoder usage  for minimal wiring - and if you ever want to reprogram in-situ, then the TrainTech signals and decoders, as well as others using a LEARN button, are easy to change at any time you modify your layout. (with the possible restriction of blocks-of-four with some quad-accessory-decoders)

I have a few of these. You don't actually program them as such. ( Like a Decoder)

Mine are linked to change colour when a point is operated from my command station.

What you do is this. Once the signal is wired and powered you touch the two contacts, the signal will flash,

Ask the point to change, the signal will change to Red or Green that's it.

If the colour is incorrect then set the point first, then touch the contacts.

Signal should now be correct in relation to the colour and direction.

Reading my post, what I should have said is. The signal will need an address.

As mine are linked to a point motor the signal needs the same address.

If you have a signal that is not connected to a motor, give it an address so that if you want it at red to stop at a station then green for go just use the direction button.

Suggest you have a look at Train- Tech website all the info you need.

Thanks guys. 

The main thing Id like to check is if they can take a 3 digit address. My ECoS will be running with them as separate from point motors so that when a line is set for an inbound train, signals at either end dont show up as both green. It really is a case of finding out if they can be hooked up and sited on the layout and how easy they are to programme with a 3 digit address. 

Theres a lot that looks like its straight forwards, so might get one to trail first before changing the whole signal sets over. 

Much appreciated for the help and advice. 

Archived