Duddeston (Birmingham) 7mm photo diorama.

Tove

Ok so i finally got off my butt and went down to Duddeston station this morning to see what was left and take a few picies.

I have to say that it was a depressing sight from what i remember back in the early ninties,but that`s progress for you.. :scratchhead:

Anyhow i won`t bore poeple with most of the pic`s so here are a couple of what was taken today.

post-19751-0-71943200-1483719468_thumb.jpg

This is the station as of today with platform `s 1 & 2 being used with 3 & 4 completley overgrown,but with the lines still in situ.

post-19751-0-16362400-1483719761_thumb.jpg

And this is the old DCE wagon works.

It look`s complete but it`s not as the whole of the roof has gone,all bar a small section across the front and the side you can see in the pic.

post-19751-0-75945600-1483719466_thumb.jpg

post-19751-0-08110400-1483719760_thumb.jpg

These two pic`s show the single span catenary support by the bridge and the brickwork in the corner where the access step`s were.It  also show`s a couple of row`s  of blue engineers brick that that i did`nt know about also!.

post-19751-0-64785500-1483719758_thumb.jpg

And the last one show`s a view down platform 4 (it is there,honest!) from the road bridge and it`s overgrown line.

One thing that today`s visit sorted out, was the spacing of the catenary support`s and just how far over they were on platform 4.

So looking at thing`s,i`m going to need three mast`s, plus i can get away with building the two on the platform`s with one arm only,as their back`s will sit on the front of the dioarama.

They also look quite simple as well,so they should`nt take too much trouble to build either!.

Well i`ve probably got enough info to start with now,so i`ll have to get cracking on this over the weekend!.

Cheer`s,

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

Im going to stick my ore in here, which may or may not be welcomed!  I know I've been pushing and joking with you about OLE, but .... back on your first post you said:

The main purpose of this is to try out some material`s for use on the main layout,and to have somewhere to photograph my loco`s and stock when built.

I have a concern that with the OHL up, photography of locos and stock may become difficult, if not unfeasible on a short length such as this - I'm thinking about getting the camera angles right, the lens in being able to position things to avoid the OHL.  If the masts were at the back coming towards the front then I don't think it would matter too much, but it occurs to me looking at your shots from today, that the masts are on the platform going the opposite way, and that might cause you issues.  Depends on what type of camera set up your using I guess, but do give it some thought, before getting stuck into the OHL and then realising that you can't achieve one of your originals aims!

Rich

Brian,

Im going to stick my ore in here, which may or may not be welcomed!  I know I've been pushing and joking with you about OLE, but .... back on your first post you said:

I have a concern that with the OHL up, photography of locos and stock may become difficult, if not unfeasible on a short length such as this - I'm thinking about getting the camera angles right, the lens in being able to position things to avoid the OHL.  If the masts were at the back coming towards the front then I don't think it would matter too much, but it occurs to me looking at your shots from today, that the masts are on the platform going the opposite way, and that might cause you issues.  Depends on what type of camera set up your using I guess, but do give it some thought, before getting stuck into the OHL and then realising that you can't achieve one of your originals aims!

Rich

No need to frett me ole mate,i`m still thinking on the OHL and when the time comes i`ll mock something up see what it`s like.I can just have the mast`s though if i want;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60390222@N05/24681702832/in/photolist-DB3bmy-DoLKYY-Dm6XtL-dx5uzm-4Xt63X-92QFTA-6gNS3C-tVF1iM-8C7AyV-ano11v-8xeL4b-8BLVGz-zvBx2s-dmpUW3-9WhCDn-6gNCXW-4wU31T-6cbkn1-97fqUx-nd3Mt9-4wUsUr-ano122-6gNWGb-anqPLN-6gJnGZ-9sWX5r-9xD6tQ-6gNTUE-8Uki8n-biqX2v-AS7bbc-8xbKdT-fFz9qr-8CM6wv-anqPKY-9RKSyT-9Pj12i-anqPP7-9RNMBA-zgq44H-aCq3Yd-8Khav9-8Dyj6T-yx58Vd-6Gohw6-am8KP8-8XEq86-fo76w6-9dALMT-C4UQuu

Though having said that,it could be a bit different as i`ve not seen much OHL in Britsh 7mm.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

The problem would be with the second structure from the road bridge. That has a cantilever from a leg on the platform which would probably be off the edge of the board. The one nearest the bridge is nicely in the background whilst the third from the bridge was past the end of the C&W building so out of your scene. Perhaps best to do it aaround the time of commissioning New St PSB as the only thing that changed between then and the closure of the carriage shed was putting the wires up

The problem would be with the second structure from the road bridge. That has a cantilever from a leg on the platform which would probably be off the edge of the board. The one nearest the bridge is nicely in the background whilst the third from the bridge was past the end of the C&W building so out of your scene. Perhaps best to do it aaround the time of commissioning New St PSB as the only thing that changed between then and the closure of the carriage shed was putting the wires up

I`ve had a bit of a re-draw so i can build it as near to scale as possible,after i realised earlier that the board i had to hand was too small for what i want.

So after using the measuring facility on Google maps, i came up with this revised plan.

post-19751-0-73492600-1483748141.jpg

As you can see the third support is in line with the end of wagon works building,something that i`d noted today whilst i was there,and confirmed by the above.And so with a slighty wider board i can build the support`s on the front edge without compression.

I had thought of not stringing the wires,but i`ve always thought that look`s a bit odd on a model!!.  :dontknow:

Cheers,

Brian.

• RMweb Premium

Knew I'd seen one somewhere. 

8447469226_2967f71482_b.jpg

Electrics at Duddeston by Derek Pattenson, on Flickr

This was taken from a train on the Up Fast arriving at Platform 1

This one shows the wooden staircase and one of the locos in the previous shot visible under the bridge.

8446381373_d673d16b77_b.jpg

Vauxhall and Duddeston by Derek Pattenson, on Flickr

Ah! This is all so evocative of the pre-Cross City Line of my very young days - I was always puzzled by the lamps going crossways saying "Vauxhall" and the signs going lengthways saying "Duddeston"! Like the parked electrics too - very characteristic.

Brian,

While looking at something else tonight I came across this web page 

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/vauxhall_shed.htm

Any use to you?

Rich

I`ve looked through that site many a time,Rich.

Lot`s of very interesting stuff that was well before iwas around,and of course it`s all very local to me as well!.

Thanks for the thought,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

I've read through this a couple of times and it seems ideal for a small diorama, but, and it's only a little but, not a critisism, you mention that you'll be photographing stock on it. How are you going to establish low angle shots with a platform along the front? 

The only way I can see that you'll be able to get a low angle photo is from the ends and that will require a decent depth of field. That will also open the surroundings/room behind into the photographs, unless you're a genius with Photoshop that is.

I see the attraction of photos on the through line from platform level, and that would probably work sort of looking across on the subject from the platform, in fact looking at a slightly downward angle would reduce the requirement for sky, as the buildings behind may be high enough in themselves. Have you tried a dry run for it before committing to it yet?

I must say that I do like a bit of urban grot, and I do love your illustrative abilities, how you can see the finished article in your minds eye and be able to draw it all out for us all to see, fantastic.

I'm sure you'll make an excellent job of creating the atmosphere of inner city/town infrastructure if your drawings are anything to go by.

Following now with interest......

Jinty ;)

A valid point Jinty about the low angle shot`s,but...I wanted to do something a little different from what seem`s to be the norm. (and there`s nothing wrong with that! )

With this diorama, i`m going to try and recreate those all to familar pictures that we take from  platform`s and bridges. So with the extra depth aforded with having three lines to shot across,and the prototype setting they should hopfully look more lifelike?.

As for picture taking there are a few options open to me;

post-19751-0-72861600-1484338915_thumb.jpg

#1 pictures over the bridge side,looking down either towards the platform or wagon works wall.

#2 from under the bridge,and as above.

#3 either from the end of the board,or across the platform.

With the first two option`s if the pictures are toward`s the platform i can put up a flat white/pale grey background board as a view blocker and background.

As for the backscene it will only be as high as the roof line on the wagonworks wall, (7inches) and the same goes for the bridge as well.So when photos are taken on it,i can put the picture through my paint program and black out any area`s around the diorama if necassary.

I have the baseboard built already,and i also have some brick embosed plasticard to be going on with as well,so things should start moving along this weekend.

Thanks Jinty,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

No mate, nothing wrong with trying something different, and you've obviously thought it through properly and the location is also relevant to you as well.

I think, going by your description above with photo angles, etc, you will have numerous angles to take photos from with different infrastructure to show subject items in differing scenes!

You'll have to get a move on though as those Grampus will be ready before you know it!

Best

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

You'll have to get a move on though as those Grampus will be ready before you know it!

Best

Jinty ;)

And as soon as they're in traffic, they'll need repairs, you know what these civil engineer bods are like :) if Duddleston ain't open it's a long trip working to Burton!

;)

Rich ( not that I pushing you at ... just get on with it ! Hehehe! )

Hi Brian,

No mate, nothing wrong with trying something different, and you've obviously thought it through properly and the location is also relevant to you as well.

Best

Jinty ;)

Thanks Jinty,

One of the reason`s for coming back to UK modeling was the ability to model thing`s that are easily accessible and from my youth, hence GH and this little project.

As for the Grampus wagon`s......no pressure there then pal...!!

And as soon as they're in traffic, they'll need repairs, you know what these civil engineer bods are like :) if Duddleston ain't open it's a long trip working to Burton!

;)

Rich ( not that I pushing you at ... just get on with it ! Hehehe! )

What do you mean there`ll need repair`s once in traffic.?? There not that bad are they........  :beee: 

And as for pushing...well :nono:

Cheers 'MATE',   :laugh: :laugh:

Brian.

Without going back through the posts, it occurred to me that warwickshirerailways.com might have some useful photos:

http://warwickshirerailways.com/lms/vauxhallduddeston.htm

Goes back to 1837 and the Grand Junction Railway!

Thanks Paul,

I`ve been looking through that site for quite a while now.There are some useful pictures,but not many for my use as there a bit too early,and don`t show what i`m after.

But then,i do have enough info to be going on with now anyway.

Cheer`s,

Brian.

Hi Brian,

How are you getting on with the diorama .. any work started on it yet, or still planning?

Rich

Hi Rich,

I`ve been a bit pre-occupied with wagon building for Gosty,

But yes i am still doing a bit of planning,though it`s only so i can get the the main wall (for the back) sized up properly.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

I`ve been a bit pre-occupied with wagon building for Gosty,

But yes i am still doing a bit of planning,though it`s only so i can get the the main wall (for the back) sized up properly.

Brian.

Fair enough! I suppose that's a good reason :P what are you building at the moment? Do keep looking at those Grampis wagons , but Arksey isn't going to be civil engineers!!

Rich

Fair enough! I suppose that's a good reason :P what are you building at the moment? Do keep looking at those Grampis wagons , but Arksey isn't going to be civil engineers!!

Rich

Rich, i`ve built 2 iron ore tipper wagons as ZKO`s, & a sand wagon as a ZDV,to go with the Grampus wagon`s.

Even though there for GH,they`ll look right at home on here when it`s finished.

And i do  think that you need and engineers train of some sort to run on Arksey,just imagine what a train of 'sealion`s', 'seacow`s' with some 'dogfish'& 'catfish' would look like being pulled by a couple choppers......hummm you know you want too!!. :yes:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

PRMRP make a kit for the Sealion & Seacow,though it does mean that you`ll have to build them..... :pardon:

Not sure who would make the Walrus though.

Brian.

See firstly you produce work that is so high a standard it makes me thing, sod it, I'll have go ... then you start posting suggestive material ... then when you make a comment of who does them I get shrugged shoulders!!!  :jester:   :pardon:  :sarcastichand:

You still wait till Sunday ;) My potential build list is getting longer, and I've not finish the bl**dy guards van yet!!! :)  Thanks for the suggestions tho!

Rich

See firstly you produce work that is so high a standard it makes me thing, sod it, I'll have go ... then you start posting suggestive material ... then when you make a comment of who does them I get shrugged shoulders!!!  :jester:   :pardon:  :sarcastichand:

I`ll admit to the suggestive material...... :blind: but i don`t know who`s work you`ve been looking at..... :scratchhead:cause it aint mine :no: And as for shoulder shrugging!! :pardon: 

My potential build list is getting longer, and I've not finish the bl**dy guards van yet!!!

Rich

Well i think you need too pull your finger out then sunshine, and get it finished....!!  :rofl:

Cheers mate,

Brian.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an update to show thing`s are moving along,all be it slowly!.

I`ve re-made the board which is now 55" x 18" inches,by 4" inches deep with a 6" inch backboard.All made from braced 6mm ply,so as to make it light enough to be moved around.

At the moment the track is down and primed, along with the base of the platform which will have the top put on later.

post-19751-0-30310600-1485624831_thumb.jpg

Just to give an idea on how things will hopfully look,i`ve taken an overall picture of the dio,and one showing the sort of view point i`m after from the platform....

post-19751-0-33441800-1485624829_thumb.jpg

post-19751-0-56298800-1485624827_thumb.jpg

Anyhow the next job on the list is to finish building the wall along the back,(which has been started) and then to colour the track and fill in the back siding to rail level,so i can then ballast and add the concrete area in the back R/H corner after the buffer stop.

Still lot`s to do but it`s getting there!.

Brian.

Archived