Wagon Plate - help with identity please?

billy_anorak59

My sister used to work in a small garden maintenance business, and while digging in a suburban garden one day hit this wagon plate (I’m presuming it’s a wagon plate?), and exhumed it.

Can anyone help with an identity? Not knowing much about wagons, I don’t know if the number on the plate is the actual build number or diagram number, but I’m hoping that someone can help with the type of vehicle it came off – at 100 tons gross weight, I’m guessing it wasn’t small. It would be nice to know.

Any help appreciated – this is the plate:

IMG_7815.JPG.35e8299308719861dc39f1c7c3b603f6.JPG

Is the BR (Sc) a clue?

Why it was buried amongst the flowers in a mid-Wirral house is not known…

I can't be precise, but almost certainly a privately-owned, bogie oil tank, most likely constructed by a Scottish builder such as Pickerings of Wishaw (hence the BR (Sc) - which indicates that the wagon was registered with the Scottish Region of BR. Most modellers now them as TEAs which isn't always right. The number relates to their register which would be different to the more visible running number.

EDIT: In fact, having done a little more delving with the help of Paul Bartlett's wagon photos, I can say that this was likely (I don't have any reference books for tank wagons) to have been exactly like this:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtbogietank/hdf93113#hdf93113

So, that's a 100 ton class A tank for kerosene, leased from BRT by ESSO built by R.Y. Pickering with the running number 4038 (84038 under TOPS when it was coded TEA).

Adam

Archived