advice on choice of decoder for backlog of locos requiring DCC fitting.

runs as required

I've been away from my (DCC roundy-round 'No Place') layout for over a year and as a New Year resolution - with family endorsement - I am bringing it back into commission.

The Big Question I face is that I seem to have amassed an additional 15 locos (second hand well-pre-DCC, plus 8 pin and 21 pin DCC ready) from small tank locos to Churcward 28xx and Heljan Beyer-Garrett that require chipping.

From initial Google searches I have found this

Gaugemaster Controls DCC26 8-pin 4-function 1A (1.5A peak) small OPTI decoder

It looks:

• good value for money @ £13 each
  • small enough to fit in everything
  • capable of being cut and soldered to a few pre-DCC-fitted locos*

Any helpful comments/experiences would be very much appreciated before I commit myself to this expense.

dh

*one is tender drive, one has a split chassis similar to my old Bachmann V2 (that still works on DCC)

I have been in the same position on changing to DCC, so far I have chipped some of the easiest - Bachmann GWR Panniers with Hattons direct 8 pin, Hornby GWR Railcars with Hattons and Gaugemaster direct 8 pin. The latter provided an easy solution for a Bachmann GWR 66xx, where the former was too big.

I have been considering the Gaugemaster DCC 26 as a solution for some of my Hornby T9s and shall be interested in your quest. 

• RMweb Gold

I've had good results with the (opti)dcc26 decoder with older Bachmann split chassis locos, comparable to the TCS-M1 but the connector makes them bulkier and so more often than not chassis needs to be removed etc. Swings and roundabouts I guess, I'll charge more to fit the cheaper decoder as it will take me an hour more to start modifying the chassis to make space for it ....

I've been away from my (DCC roundy-round 'No Place') layout for over a year and as a New Year resolution - with family endorsement - I am bringing it back into commission.

The Big Question I face is that I seem to have amassed an additional 15 locos (second hand well-pre-DCC, plus 8 pin and 21 pin DCC ready) from small tank locos to Churcward 28xx and Heljan Beyer-Garrett that require chipping.

From initial Google searches I have found this

Gaugemaster Controls DCC26 8-pin 4-function 1A (1.5A peak) small OPTI decoder

It looks:

• good value for money @ £13 each
  • small enough to fit in everything
  • capable of being cut and soldered to a few pre-DCC-fitted locos*

Any helpful comments/experiences would be very much appreciated before I commit myself to this expense.

dh

*one is tender drive, one has a split chassis similar to my old Bachmann V2 (that still works on DCC)

With regard to the Tender Drive. If its Hornby then be careful. ( not sure with other makes) There is the danger of a short through the body resulting in a fried decoder. Something to do with the brush holder screws. I seem to remember some time ago there is a type of screw that's hard plastic that does the job, but memory fades. If its a more modern motor then should be ok, not had any trouble with those myself.

If its an older type, then there is a solution. Replace the back plate

( If you can find one)  with a clip in type, No Screws.

Always best to test with a meter first.

Thanks for some encouraging replies.

Of my existing stock of pre DCC fitted locos, I have to confess I found the split chassis locos by far the most difficult. I managed to get the V2 working OK despite the valve gear falling apart while I was looking the other way.

But a little split chassis Worsdell 0-6-0 tank I never managed to get working dependably so found a newer one to replace it.

I've done a few tender drive Hornbys - my son's 1970s old Black Five and an old red LMS Compound are favourites that still run well.

I've yet to be brave enough to tackle some 1960/70s H0 Epoch III Jouef, Lilliput and Rivarossi Continental locos - they seem very delicate.

dh

PS

I came back from a trip into Newcastle this afternoon with a DCC ready Saint 'Glastonbury Abbey' reduced to £70 from Fenwicks - adding one more requiring a coder!

Archived