Merlin monarch loco and coach

Romsey Les

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this so apologies if not. By brother in law bought this loco and coach in Welshpool some years ago and is now thinking of disposing of it as he has run out of space. He believes it is a Merlin monarch. It is on a display stand with glass cover. The track is 32mm.

This is not really my area of interest but as he knew I was on RM Web he asked me if I could find out more.I can obtain more detail if needed. Can anyone advise what it might be worth ? post-2048-0-02868100-1484059984_thumb.jpgpost-2048-0-93863000-1484059999_thumb.jpgpost-2048-0-18785200-1484060015_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Merlin in it's various guises pushed out a fair number of locos.

I'd suggest this is a very early variant based on the Beck locos as it is slip eccentric with the steam being fed from a displacement lubricator which is probably hidden under the front dome.  the more continental varieties with side tanks had the steam pipes exposed.  They can just be seen in the photo coming out under the saddle tank.

Merlin produced a pair of locos for radio control called the Monarch and the Mayflower.  Mechanically identical, the Mayflower having side tanks and the Monarch having a squared off saddle tank. Istr the displacement lubricator sat in the rh cab doorway.

All the bodies were simple 'detail free' brass shells.

The loco in the picture looks like a Beck loco with a homemade body (hence all the rivets) and has some intriguing pipework from the smokeboxc onto  the rh running plate.  Judging by the size of the pipework and the pipe unions it is functional and not cosmetic. 

It's certainly not a stock loco but is either highly modified or scratch built over a chassis/boiler power pack.

The coach is a Brandbright panelled PS 16 4 wheeled full brake .

Hth

Yes   a  Monarch  &  Brandbright  kit built  coach  ( and  very  nice  they look  too!)

I  bought  several  Merlin  Locos  from  Tom  Cooper  who  was  the  owner  of  Merlin Locomotive  Works  he  did  a lot  to popularise  live  steam  and  Garden Railways  back in the late 70s

He  originally  haad  a  Newsagents  shop in  Kendal,  and  started  a  model railway sideline there  (00  etc)  then  he  discovered   16mm,  he  had  a  garden  line  behind  the  shop  where  he  demonstrated  his  live  steam locos,  he  had  purchased  all the  remaining  parts  from  a  German  firm  called  BECK,  from  which  he  made  slightly  more  Anglicised looking  narrow  gauge  Freelance  locos.

He  moved  to  Llanfair  Caerinion  ( terminus  of   the  W&L) where  he  had  a  small unit to  continue  his loco building  business

Happy  Days  your  picture  brings  back many memories!!

• 7 months later...

Have you managed to sell this yet? I MIGHT be interested if the price is right, Merlin locos get a lot of bad stick and complaints, which I think is a bit unfair, they were only made by one man (to start with), how was he supposed to keep up with demand? They were really beautiful models though, I've been on the hunt for a little wonder myself

Archived