Mystery Industrials - anyone know what they are?

billy_anorak59

A few years ago my missus picked up a couple of framed photographs from a car boot that she thought I may be interested in. I found them again the other day, and was wondering if anyone on here could do a what, when, where job on them?

The photos are of what appear to be constructor-type 0-6-0 tanks – the backgrounds look to be either a work in progress, or a mining environment.

I’ve found a photo of a loco on the web that is similar to ‘Victoria’ – could it be a Black, Hawthorn and Co product? But I’ve no idea regarding ‘Coronation’.

They must have meant a lot to someone, as they’ve taken the time to frame them – and ideas/info?

'Victoria':

VictoriaDet.thumb.JPG.764ccd97cdcbb90e1510927ead3712be.JPG

VictoriaFrame.thumb.JPG.7c5a17b7b451bc8b3145d078dcfc2045.JPG

'Coronation':

CoronationDet.thumb.JPG.221504b14eaad781e9dbd7175ffee883.JPGCoronationFrame.thumb.JPG.c541729a81fec127871963d193d610cf.JPG

Ooh! Thanks chaps - very much appreciated!

So Coronation may be '0-6-0ST MW 1561/1902 ' ?

The garb of the crew looks right for the turn of the century, and the plate behind the boy with the oil can's head looks like it could just read '61' - the last two numbers of 1561?

The other 'Victoria's' in the list that Orange Cat provided a link to seem to be 0-4-0s?

Thanks again!

Black Hawthorn 1078 of 1892 was an 0-6-0ST named "VICTORIA", supplied to a contractor named David Shanks.  Along with 0-4-0ST BH 1074/1892 "AIRDRIE", it was used on a contract for widening of the North Eastern Railway Pelaw Main to Felling line.  Both locos were then put up for sale in the Contractor's yard at Felling in June 1895. One list shows that "VICTORIA" subsequently went to Henry Hews Ltd, Hall Cown Quarry, Britannia, Bacup.

Black Hawthorn 1078 of 1892 was an 0-6-0ST named "VICTORIA", supplied to a contractor named David Shanks.  Along with 0-4-0ST BH 1074/1892 "AIRDRIE", it was used on a contract for widening of the North Eastern Railway Pelaw Main to Felling line.  Both locos were then put up for sale in the Contractor's yard at Felling in June 1895. One list shows that "VICTORIA" subsequently went to Henry Hews Ltd, Hall Cown Quarry, Britannia, Bacup.

In the list supplied both a Victoria and Coronation are working for that contractor together, so quite possibly the same locos, however it doesn't appear to be on the job the list lists. 

The list linked by Orange Cat incorrectly lists BH 1078 as an 0-4-0ST, but (Quarryscapes beat me to it) also has MW 1561 listed with the same contractor - as also shown in other MW lists.

[Edit - I meant to say "incorrectly lists as an 0-4-0ST", but put "0-6-0ST" instead.  Now corrected.]

• RMweb Gold

Coronation's a fairly standard Manning Wardle of about the turn of the century.

Here's a link to the Middleton's Matthew Murray MW1601 or 1903, looks as if Coronation could be the same design.  http://c9425687.myzen.co.uk/MRT2/index.php/museum-collection/rolling-stock-steam-locomotives/s9-manning-wardle-1601

Martin

Manning Wardle 1561/1902 "CORONATION" was a standard K class 0-6-0ST, supplied new to David Shanks (or more correctly, by that time, The Executors of David Shanks) for the completion of the Redheugh Deviation and Dunston extension for the North Eastern Railway (the former originally contracted to John Nelson in 1899), 1902-1904.

Having been put up for sale after the Pelaw Main-Felling contract was completed (1895), it appears that VICTORIA was then employed by (The Executors of) David Shanks on the widening of the NER Penshaw-Wapping Branch, 1900-1902, along with three more 0-6-0STs, all second-hand: ACKLINGTON (Fox Walker 371/1878); PEGGY (Hudswell Clarke 540/1900) and DUNSTON (MW 1446/1899).  PEGGY and DUNSTON, along with VICTORIA, joined CORONATION on the projects given above.

Upon completion of the Durham contracts, CORONATION went on to a contract in Doncaster, and VICTORIA went to Bacup, Lancashire (as previously noted).

Very many thanks to all - it looks although the David Stranks connection as pointed out by EddieB is a strong possibility.

I'm going to take Quarryscapes query on board and have a look with a magnifying glass when I get home (I should have thought to do that...) - the prints are indeed good, and are only shown up by my photography (I didn't want to take the frames apart to scan).

I won't be able to report back until Monday however - I've got a busy weekend ahead.

All the help and pointers are very much appreciated - thanks!

Looks like the identity mystery is solved. I took a look with a magnifying glass and can state that the worksplates show as:

For ‘CORONATION’ (half the plate is obscured by the chaps' head):

…ING WARDLE & Co

…61

…S 1902

And for ‘VICTORIA’:

BL.ICT.HAWTHORN.ICT

LIMITED

ENGINEERS

GATESHEAD ON TYNE

(not sure about the ‘ICT’ bits, but that’s what it looks like, as does the ‘6’ in ‘1896’ – although EddieB states ‘1892’… so might be my eyes, as they’re at full zoom)

Guess that the photos show the ‘David Shanks’ era c.1904-ish then, many thanks to one and all.

Archived