Expansion joint using Code 143 FB rail

Pete 75C

I have a need to replicate the expansion joint seen in the image below. Now, as concrete sleepers are involved, I'm planning to use the Peco IL-715 sleepers and Code 143 FB rail for the majority of the line. I notice from the image that 2 sleepers either side of the joint are wooden so I'm assuming that's standard practise. That shouldn't present any problems. Neither should the short lengths of bullhead on their side between the rails. I see no alternative but to attack the flatbottom with a file to get the required rail profile at the joint. 4mm modellers are lucky as I believe Peco make an expansion joint already, but my question concerns the chairs attached to the wooden sleepers. I've not seen these before... does anyone know if this type of chair (or anything remotely similar) is available to purchase in 7mm scale? Scratchbuilding components from C&L perhaps? I've no idea what these chairs are called, so searching for them is proving fruitless. Track is far from my forte, so if anyone can offer any advice, I'd be grateful.

post-17811-0-97418100-1484555482_thumb.jpg

post-17811-0-53290900-1484555483.jpg

• RMweb Gold

This link leads to a top view that might help you make your own chairs. It looks like a baseplate with 2 L-shaped clamps that secure the rail. I'm sure there are some people who work on the real track that might be able to help you further eventually. I hope the link helps

MJ

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-expansion-joint-in-railway-track-15021356.html

• RMweb Premium

Do you need to make it Pete? That switch has only been put in to stop the CWR or NW effecting the jointed track of the NNR. Before the link was put in, it wouldn't be there....

Andy G

This link leads to a top view that might help you make your own chairs...

Thanks for that link. The top view does make it look quite simple. Having gone through the entire C&L catalogue, nothing remotely similar exists. If I can manage to file the rail to the correct profile, fabricating the clips shouldn't be too difficult.

Do you need to make it Pete? That switch has only been put in to stop the CWR or NW effecting the jointed track of the NNR. Before the link was put in, it wouldn't be there....

Just keeping my options open, Andy. I'm still not sure whether to model the station before or after the street crossing. You're absolutely correct... if I model the buffer stops, no need for the expansion joint at all.

Having wandered down to Sheringham station yesterday to gather some detail pics, I now have a better view of the expansion joint to work from. I will take on-board the advice from Dutch_Master (thanks) regarding the rail profile and I think the chairs/clips should be easy enough to fabricate but a question... I'm not a trackbuilder, so I'm not familiar with all the various scratchbuilding items available from the likes of C&L and some of the more "cottage" industries. What would be the best thing to use to replicate the square-headed bolts in 7mm scale? They look identical to those used to secure the Pandrol clips, there are just more of them. At present, I'm wondering if using track pins would work and possibly filing the heads square. If anything is available ready-made, that would be a big help.

post-17811-0-15949000-1484825231_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Your best options are fine pin heads squashed square with pliers brass ones are fairly soft if you can find them or something from the Grant line range. I think the nearest to 0-gauge will be 1/4" scale. I think Scale model hardware did square simulated bolts to but they have shut down due to ill health of the owner.

Grant line link is below. It's a US company but I believe you can get them from a few suppliers over here.

http://www.grandtline.com/products/mrr/mrr%20details/augmentables.html

Grant line link is below. It's a US company but I believe you can get them from a few suppliers over here.

http://www.grandtline.com/products/mrr/mrr%20details/augmentables.html

Many thanks for that. A look at the website found a square-headed bolt of about the right size and it is one of the few items actually in stock at one of their UK stockists. I'll give it a go.

Edit: Ordered a pack this morning, so hopefully they'll work well.

An odd request...

Does anyone reading this who's worked with Code 143 flatbottom rail have any small offcuts left over? They need only be a few inches long - just scrap rail.

Without a local stockist, I've ordered a pack of 6 x 914mm lengths but they won't be with me for a while yet. Also, I haven't allowed myself much spare. I need to practise with the Dremel and a variety of discs/grinding bits to see if I can get the correct rail profile for the expansion joint. Being slightly pessimistic by nature, I'm fully expecting it to go wrong, wrong and wrong again before it goes right!

I hope it goes without saying that I'm more than happy to cover postage. I may be tight, but I don't squeak. PM if you can help. Thanks.

Archived