Relative speed changes when switching loco

DarrenMoffat

Just starting in DCC having been absent from modelling for more than 25 years, and having only done analogue OO before.  

( Context: I bought my son the Bachman Cornish Riviera set, it has been expanded with the Peco N gauge starter kit some additional points and some code 80 flex track.  There are also now 3 locos, a Dapol 57xx and a Dapol  A3.  The layout is double loop with sidings off the inner and a single branch off the outer that rises up into a two track platform area in the centre of the layout.  Most but not yet all track sections are wired to a DCC bus, all points are insulated frog).

With the Bachmman EZ Command controller,  when I have multiple trains active and running if I switch to another train and turn the dial it either instantly speeds up or slows down to the dial position.  I understand that this is very likely a limitation of how the EZ Command controller works.

Do the NCE Power Cab or Prodigy Express controllers work the same way ?  What I want is to be able to switch to another loco and make relative speed changes to it - they could be running at very different speeds.

Thanks,

Darren

Just starting in DCC having been absent from modelling for more than 25 years, and having only done analogue OO before.  

( Context: I bought my son the Bachman Cornish Riviera set, it has been expanded with the Peco N gauge starter kit some additional points and some code 80 flex track.  There are also now 3 locos, a Dapol 57xx and a Dapol  A3.  The layout is double loop with sidings off the inner and a single branch off the outer that rises up into a two track platform area in the centre of the layout.  Most but not yet all track sections are wired to a DCC bus, all points are insulated frog).

With the Bachmman EZ Command controller,  when I have multiple trains active and running if I switch to another train and turn the dial it either instantly speeds up or slows down to the dial position.  I understand that this is very likely a limitation of how the EZ Command controller works.

Do the NCE Power Cab or Prodigy Express controllers work the same way ?  What I want is to be able to switch to another loco and make relative speed changes to it - they could be running at very different speeds.

Thanks,

Darren

The "ESU ECoS 50200" speed dial turns to the speed of the other loco when you change ... But this is a very expensive option. If budget allows then i would 100% recommend this controller. They are around 635 squid at the moment..  

Devices which use an encoder (which is a device without an "end" for zero and "full" power eg. PowerCab) don't have the problem.   They simply adopt the speed the new loco was previously running at, which might be stationary or moving.  

- Nigel

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about any other systems, but the Prodigy Express/PA2 handsets all use encoder type speed control whether it's through the rotary dial or push buttons - you can use either/both together. So they just 'pickup' the loco at the speed it has previously been set at.

Izzy

• 4 weeks later...

I've now put an NCE PowerCAB and I've very happy with it - it solved this problem and opened up so much more.  Started playing with momentum settings too - very cool.

Next step getting DCC switched electrofrog points from the NCE PowerCAB (on my layout, son will need to stick with the insulated frog and manual switching since since the EZ command doesn't do accessories).

Thanks for all the input.

Archived