7Z68 Mansfield - Oakleigh

Richard Pike

Whilst researching workings for my layout of Shirebrook depot, I have come across a list of depot workings from 1983, on it is listed 7Z68 Mansfield (Colliery) - Oakleigh.

Can anyone tell me where is Oakleigh ?, I don't seem to be able to find the place.

Whilst researching workings for my layout of Shirebrook depot, I have come across a list of depot workings from 1983, on it is listed 7Z68 Mansfield - Oakleigh.

Can anyone tell me where is Oakleigh ?, I don't seem to be able to find the place.

Was it one of the ICI plants around Northwich that took limestone from Peak Forest and produced soda-ash?

• RMweb Gold

Whilst researching workings for my layout of Shirebrook depot, I have come across a list of depot workings from 1983, on it is listed 7Z68 Mansfield - Oakleigh.

Hi Richard,

Oakleigh Sidings are Northwich, part of the ICI plant, as the Fat Controller said.  I cannot think why there would be such a move however.  Class 7 would have been an unfitted freight. I'll have to wade through my WTTs and see if I can identify it.

A quick search did reveal this however ... maybe there was something similar around Shirebrook?  

Under the Woodhead wires. Chris Jones-Bridger.

Picture on p558 of No.76 037 hauling eastbound freight at Torside on the Woodhead route: caption refers to the train being formed of empty coal hoppers. This is not so as the vehicles were covered hoppers or 'Covhops'. The formation and condition of the vehicles would indicate the service being 8E08 TFO Oakleigh ICI (Northwich) to Barnby Dun (near Doncaster) conveying soda ash for Rockware glass. Following the closure of the Woodhead Route the service was diverted with through diesel haulage via Diggle. In turn this traffic on this block service was conveyed as part of was a daily Speedlink working (6E26) routed via Ashburys, Healey Mills and Knottingley to Doncaster Belmont when the 'Covhops' were replaced by air-braked tank wagons.

I was thinking maybe the wagon works (Now W H Davies) could have been responsible for repairs on the ICI bogie hoppers, but I doubt it, and in any case while empties for repair could have come from Northwich, logically those off repair would have gone back to Peak Forest.

Rich

Surely it would be coal for the kilns in the soda ash process? Yep Oakleigh Sidings was the BR yard that served the former I.C.I. Mond works at Winnington in Northwich. Unfitted loaded coal 2-axle hoppers would be my guess. Does the timetable indicate which way the train was routed i.e. towards Woodhead or down to Derby then Stoke, Crewe and Middlewich.

HTH Paul

ICI at Northwich would make sense.

Regarding it running as a Class 7, all the workings on the list which covers the majority of North Notts pits to local Power stations are coded class 7 and they where certainly air braked HAA's.

I coincidently used to work at Mansfield Colliery and it was unique compared to the other local pits in that the Coal produced was of a hotter burning quality and most of it was used as domestic and boiler Coal rather than for the CEGB. Not having a Rapid loading bunker, we only produced around 1 train per week of Power station Coal that was loaded manually into HAA's through a Hydraulic "Tyre" system that left the Black stripes sometimes seen on the side of HAA's.

I do remember seeing HEA's frequently being loaded and seem to think these may have been used on the Oakleigh working.

Routing to Northwich, I suspect it may have been via Toton but that is only a guess.

Regarding it running as a Class 7, all the workings on the list which covers the majority of North Notts pits to local Power stations are coded class 7 and they where certainly air braked HAA's.

I coincidently used to work at Mansfield Colliery and it was unique compared to the other local pits in that the Coal produced was of a hotter burning quality and most of it was used as domestic and boiler Coal rather than for the CEGB. Not having a Rapid loading bunker, we only produced around 1 train per week of Power station Coal that was loaded manually into HAA's through a Hydraulic "Tyre" system that left the Black stripes sometimes seen on the side of HAA's.

I do remember seeing HEA's frequently being loaded and seem to think these may have been used on the Oakleigh working.

Routing to Northwich, I suspect it may have been via Toton but that is only a guess.

The HEAs went to Garston as shipping coal, I believe. I have an inkling that ICI got a Section 8 grant to install rapid unloading at Oakleigh.

Coal it is then. I know Winnington took coal in MGR hoppers until the Combined Heat & Power plant came on stream but not sure when MGR deliveries commenced. I guess David Monk-Steel's book will say. Not sure what fuel Lostock took but I'm sure I've seen reference to it taking in oil. All long gone traffics now.

Paul

In 1980 these wagons would have gone to Tinsley and then over the Woodhead by electric, post Woodhead closure they went via the Hope Valley, same as the Garston Dock workings.

Archived