Canada Works Birkenhead drawings

Valentin

Here are some dimensioned drawings from a set prepared in 1878 to illustrate the locos of the Strade Ferrate Romane.  Both types of the former Leghorn Railway's Canada Works locomotives are included.  (The poor quality comes from my old scans rather than the originals).

post-10122-0-88986300-1485627433_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-89781600-1485627435_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you EddieB. The second drawing is very useful even if, I think, the presented locomotive is younger than Calugareni.

Let me explain why I think Calugareni is older than the Italian sister.

On Calugareni's plate the year is 1869 no.233 but the Italian drawing states 1864 no.186.

Is the Italian locomotive an evolved version? It does have exterior cilinders and Calugareni has internal cilinders. What were first internal or external?

Is there an error on Calugareni's plate or in the Italian drawing?

No - Calugareni is younger than both batches constructed for the Leghorn Railway, for which the builder's numbers 143-149/154-160 (1863) for the 2-2-2s and 161-166 (1864) for the 2-4-0s are correct.  The builder's number 233/1869 is also correct for Calugareni.  (I haven't quoted builder's numbers extensively in this thread as there is some conjecture in the numbers 1-107; thereafter things become clearer).

In general, the outside, inclined cylinders and double frames characteristic of the misnamed "Crewe Type" were superseded by the inside frames and cylinders of Calugareni.  Speculation on my part, but developments in the manufacture of steel in the 1860s may have affected the reliability of components and hence the design modifications as that decade progressed.

It would be interesting to know what the 'locomotive plan' book the site author refers to actually was.

I think that would be the source of the drawings extracted in my post -  Allesandro Tuzza "STRADE FERRATE ROMANE Album delle locomotive" (Benelli, Firenze, 1878).

Interesting as the linked page also mentions Mont Cenis.  The Mont Cenis Fell Railway acquired an 0-4-0T which had been built for the Cromford & High Peak Railway at Canada Works - but that's another story!

I know that the post is dedicated to the locomotive, but do you know anything about Calugareni's coaches, they were built by Ashbury Coaches? And same for CW I'm not able to find any drawing from 1860-70.

Ashburys eventually became part of Metro Cammell, in which case the Birmingham Central Library may hold drawings.

• 1 year later...

According to "Istoricul Tractiunii Feroviare din Romania" (vol 1, p263), with reference to the Bucuresti Filaret-Giurgiu Railway, most of the English-built locomotives:

"...aveau sasiul de culoare brunînchis (brun-noyer) iar restul verde-masliniu (vert-olive)"

In other words had a brown chassis ("walnut brown" as identified by the French alternative in brackets), the rest olive green.  

(I've quoted the text verbatim - save for absence of some diacritic marks - as translation engines can be a bit unreliable when it comes to specific matters).

(Message updates private message sent earlier).

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...