Thought I'd create a workbench thread, 

there are a lot of projects that I've started over the last 5 years but they seem to be packed away in boxes, unfinished or just waiting for that last little piece.

My favourite is this Lima chassied Hornby railroad class 08,

gallery_16311_3016_102629.jpg

I built a couple of these, they are in a separate thread but the photobox links need updating.

(EDIT: links are now updated, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/79028-trying-to-detail-a-railroad-class-08/)

and one currently underway, a Wrenn body on a Bachmann chassis,

gallery_16311_3016_152718.jpg

there is no reason for either of these, especially when you know how good the Super detail Hornby 08 is, but its just the kind of thing I end up doing!

Stu.

I always had a soft spot for Lima and Hornby 37s.

I did a few Limas,

re-shaped tumble-home, extra 1mm in body height, new noses. re-cut sand filler holes. plated the roof I took a casting of a VI-trains nose that I modified and all the variants were modified and re cast.

the plan was to detail the Lima chassis eventually.

gallery_16311_4129_22880.jpg

all the decals are worked in photoshop and printed on crafty computer paper.

gallery_16311_4129_76716.jpg

the screens were filed up blanks fitted in a VI trains model and then cast using silicone moulds and clear resin, the lima's holes were then filed out to fit.

then I had a go at a Hornby model,

gallery_16311_4129_10190.jpg

front one is a VI trains resprayed. rear is a Hornby. most work was on the chassis, that is the original Hornby with the bogies moved further apart, better tanks and lima side frames.

then I bought some Bachmann chassis and gave up with the lima/Hornby/VI trains ones!

gallery_16311_4129_131639.jpg

As you can see, although its on a Bachmann chassis, I was loosing interest, windows not finished / no horns etc...

I didnt like the finish I'd acheived on these so started a new batch based on Hornby bodies with re shaped fronts, a copy of  a Bachmann screen surround and etched details.

gallery_16311_4129_66913.jpg

theres not much Hornby left once you get going!

anyway, I started too many at once, it was taking so long, I lost interest again. thay are still "on my workbench" but relegated to the back!

gallery_16311_4129_52002.jpg

there's an actual Bachmann one there and 2nd from the back a Hornby using a craftsman detail pack, you can see the screens are smaller (I don't know why, I just had it so thought i'd use it)

so that's as far as I've got with them.

Stu

I've been collecting parts for some West Coast Railways class 33's for a while.

Over Xmas I was able to get started on the project.

I had been researching what they needed, and found a wealth of info on RMweb, but in many different threads. so hopefully I can post some answers here.

I had 2 old Lima 33's, first off I could have done with the later body mouldings with headlamps and the body fixing holes filled in.

gallery_16311_4151_24365.jpg

I sanded off the handrails and moulding flash and filled the holes I didn't need. I tried to cut plastic to the size of the holes to fill exactly so that I didn't use any filler.

One question I'd seen asked was about the Heljan 33 lazerglaze windows fitting a Lima body.

I bought the 33/1 set and checked it out.

the windscreens fit with a tiny gap at the top. the bodyside windows fit nicely. the cab side and headcode windows need a lot of filing, but when you do that it looks a lot more like a 33.

gallery_16311_4151_15940.jpggallery_16311_4151_6250.jpg

gallery_16311_4151_14073.jpg

I purchased a few Heljan sprues, they were from ebay as a job lot but I think you can get all the important ones from Howes.

I filled the Heljan fan grill (this wont fit on top, you have to make an exact hole and sink it almost flush with the roof,

gallery_16311_4151_57081.jpggallery_16311_4151_13088.jpg

headlamp was from the spares box and the rivets on the front were superglue gel dropped in a centre punch hole.

I had seen people saying don't use the Lima body as the roof is wrong, but its fairly easy to shave off the exhaust hole, fill the groove on the silencer panel (badly so it looks like a weld line!)  and file an oblong hole further along. I put a band of plastic round the hole for the bezel.

gallery_16311_4151_63806.jpg

I took off the rivets and marked out the catches. made a little jig and cut microstrip so they are hopefully all the same length.

next onto the chassis.

I had loads of old CD drive motors, 2 of which turned out to be the 12v ones.I fitted them with scalextric drive sprockets and used one of the others as a jig to drill mounting holes for the original CD drive screws. I replaced the rear trailing bogie wheels with Hornby coach wheels with a sleeve and added extra pick ups and made sure all the gears were the shape that they were supposed to be. That is a really fantastic improvement to the lima chassis and they tun really quiet.

gallery_16311_4151_6491.jpggallery_16311_4151_9468.jpg

that's the original side frames with more detail added, brake rods, steps.

I  went one step further at this point, I realised the lima axle wheels are easy to turn in a dremel with a file. I removed the lima wheels, turned down the axle ends and put more Hornby coach wheels on the original axle.the drive cogs can be separated from the original wheels quite easily as they are just held on by the plastic in the centre. I cut that off and araldited it to the back of the wheel.Sounds simple but everything was a nightmare to get centered and running true!

looking at the sprues I had, I realised there was enough to make up a pair of Heljan bogies, these cut down quite well to make replacements for the trailing bogies, with the lima pivot pin.

gallery_16311_4151_27301.jpggallery_16311_4151_18295.jpg

It was so much trouble to get the wheels true, on the second chassis I decided to leave the lima wheels in the drive bogie. but to get rid of the traction tyres.

to do this I removed the drive wheel, turned round the axle and used a spare wheel off the trailing bogie to replace the traction tyre wheel. Again I had to bond the drive sprocket to the back of the wheel. I then turned the front face of the wheels in a dremel to try and get them to match the look of the others.

Here are the chassis ready to go.

gallery_16311_4151_42239.jpg

that is a train-tech SFX20 sound module in the back chassis. Interesting thing for a talking point and if you drive knowing its in there it gives quite a good effect. the novelty might soon wear off though! You can see I use stick on car wheel weights to make up for the lack of traction tyres.

There was a lot of discussion on other pages about Halfords car paints for railway colours. I've used them and like the paint, if you heat the can on a radiator and shake well they give a good finish. you can also give a final coat of their satin/ matt lacquer which seems to be compatible with most decals.

I couldn't find a match for the West Coast Railways red.though. Its not BR red on the 33s, its darker. in railwy colours it also seems hard to get. You might find the odd railmatch acrilic. So I did an experiment with Halfords Rover Damask Red over black primer and I think I can get away with it. Luckily the WCR coaches I will have will be based on the Your Model Railway Village coaches so there a bit lighter anyway!

gallery_16311_4151_14582.jpg

Damask red over grey on the right and Black on the left, excuse the dust on everything!

So here we are, first off, 33029 with paint, decals and roof pods.

gallery_16311_4151_142586.jpg

No lamp brackets yet. Could use the Heljan ones but I should make some.

gallery_16311_4151_83265.jpg

No weathering as such yet, thin wash of black round parts of the roof, the frame is sprayed mat black with an overspray of mat light brown.

gallery_16311_4151_163208.jpg

I realised I missed the cutting off and re attaching of the Lima tanks. they are not fully see through but have more "depth"

rear shot,

gallery_16311_4151_11033.jpg

the train reporting codes are a mixture of the info here.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74782-br-southern-region-diesel-electro-diesel-locomotive-headcodes/

and here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9221-class-33-train-reporting-codesblinds/

thanks to Andy Y and Ceptic

Stu.

And following on close behind, 33207.

gallery_16311_4151_8765.jpg

OK, so its not really any slimmer. where I used the Heljan side frames glued to the Lima chassis I didn't shave as much off the back leaving them more flush to the body. To be honest maybe the other one should be fatter!

gallery_16311_4151_28432.jpg

and in their pair, that's why the inner ends have Kadee's.

gallery_16311_4151_6313.jpg

they actually run really well as a pair even though the drives are two different ages (one with clip on gear retainer and one with bolts.

I might actually finish these.....

Some progress on these yesterday.

got the lamp brackets on,

gallery_16311_4151_55520.jpg

gallery_16311_4151_13905.jpg

and got closer to finishing 33207

gallery_16311_4151_139254.jpg

gallery_16311_4151_44915.jpg

gallery_16311_4151_20722.jpg

Extream closups.

Didnt realize how splattery the paint was on the chassis on the right or that the chassis wasn't fitted properly till I saw these photos!

Stu.

Had a re think of the body fixing after looking at my own photos,

gallery_16311_4151_76.jpg

I added this piece of wire which bites in to a small groove in the body, it holds it a bit tighter.

gallery_16311_4151_82876.jpg

Its better, but the gap needs to be a lot tighter as its supposed to be a slim bodied 33.

gallery_16311_4151_76054.jpg

Heres some more shots in the gallery,

Lima Class 33

Stu.

• 1 month later...

I've moved on to some Lima 73s now,

I have been re-wheeling them,

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120233-cheap-lima-73-re-wheeling/

and now I've started rearranging the fuel tanks etc.

I cut up the Lima mouldings and added some air tanks which I made one of and cast more.

gallery_16311_4173_121300.jpg

I tried to make the compressor more round looking, but there is only so much you can do with a totally flat part!

gallery_16311_4173_49504.jpg

there was only one thing for it, construct a new one. I tried to think about the way I would cast it to reproduce more.

gallery_16311_4173_96581.jpg

so here it is with a couple more bits of wire added.

gallery_16311_4173_42725.jpg

and the general layout, they are destined to be GBRF 73141 and 142 as they were in 2013 when I saw 73141 at Blackfriars.

gallery_16311_4173_52790.jpg

I'd like to model the 3rd one as one of the newly rebuilt 73s but I cant quite work out whats under them yet!

Stu.

• 1 month later...

Archived