Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Minerva Victory sound fitted

mikeg

Hi, I have bought the Victory sound fitted and it is one of Paul Chetters sound fitted on a zimo 644 chip. My question is can I install firebox flicker and have it work with the F6 coal shovelling.

I have to say that the loco is excellent and the sound is one of the best that I have, the loco starts on speed step 1 (on 128) and the exhaust beat is very well setup to match the piston strokes.

As I have a Dapol terrier that has firebox ficker I think the Victory would benefit from also being fitted.

hope to have a reply soon

mike g

Hi, I have bought the Victory sound fitted and it is one of Paul Chetters sound fitted on a zimo 644 chip. My question is can I install firebox flicker and have it work with the F6 coal shovelling.

I have to say that the loco is excellent and the sound is one of the best that I have, the loco starts on speed step 1 (on 128) and the exhaust beat is very well setup to match the piston strokes.

As I have a Dapol terrier that has firebox ficker I think the Victory would benefit from also being fitted.

hope to have a reply soon

mike g

Mike,

Thank you for the positive feed back.

The decoder is a ZIMO MX645R, which has an 8 pin plug fitted.

Yes you can fit firebox flicker very easily. The sound project is set up so that whenever the coal shovelling sound plays, the firebox flicker effect is automatically switched on too.

You will need to connect a normal (non-flashing) red or amber (or one of each?) with positive lead, via a 1k Ohms resistor for overcurrent protection, to the blue wire terminal of the DCC socket, and the negative lead to the green wire terminal. (or cut the blue and green wires from the 8 pin plug and connect to them).

Everything else is in place so you should be good to go.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply, the chip in my loco is a 21 pin 644 with an adapter to 8 pin plug so will it still be the green & blue wires? it is a job to see the wires as they are all tightly wrapped to hold the cube speaker in the firebox.

regards

mike g

That's an expensive way of doing it, plus the MX645 has wires attached for Stay Alive capacitors.

Nevertheless, the function outputs will still be the same. FO1 is what would be the green wire (use this for Firebox Flicker), FO2 is what would be the brown wire and the common positive is what would be the blue wire.

All of these will be available as solder pads on the adapter, so no need to cut wires, but you will need to trace the pin-outs from the 21 pin connector/decoder to the correct solder pads. That's physical wiring and multimeter testing that I can't help you with at this distance.

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank Paul, gave the loco a good test on the club track, all members impressed with the sound and control, will have a look at the flicker installation as I have some nice yellow & red LED's that would be just right for the job.

regards

mike g

Archived