setting addresses of BDL168s

computrains

Can anyone help please?

I'm using Superchief with various Digitrax components, including 8 BDL168s reporting back to RailRoad & Co.  

4 of these BDLs have now appeared to have lost their addresses as RR&Co doesn't report any block occupancy from them.  They used to work!

The LT5s all light up appropriately as locos enter their block.

I am trying to reset the BDL addresses, but having difficulty following the instructions in the manual.

Firstly, I assume the BDL does need connecting to a working LocoNet - the manual is not clear on this point.

When I do connect it, then press the button behind the green LED, and then connect the throttle, (as per the instructions). the throttle does not go into normal switch mode.  A small 'sw' appears in the centre of the bottom row - nothing like when entering switch mode in normal running.  I continue to enter the new address, start the system again but no joy!

How can you check what the address is?

What am I doing wrong?

An update to my query above. 

My layout is on 4 baseboards, each a district with its own booster – (DB150s). 

The only connection between baseboards is by LocoNet. 

All components are daisy chained.  Obviously there are two ends to this LocoNet network.  The Loco-Buffer (and computer) are at one of these ends.

In desperation, looking to see how I could get RailRoad & Co to read the information sent from the BDLs, I switched the Loco-Buffer to the other end of the LocoNet network. 

It worked!  Normal service has been resumed.  But why?

When an LT1 is plugged into either end of the LocoNet cable, all 4 LEDs are lit, implying I have good connections throughout.

Any idea what’s happening?  Because I haven’t a clue.

Archived