Midland Railway Johnson 3250 gal tender

Nig H

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

Can anyone help me with some dimensions of a Johnson 3250 gal tender please? The type I am interested in is the one modified to have a built-in toolbox above the coal door, and a raised bulkhead behind the toolbox. What I want to know is:

1. How deep is the toolbox and the ledge it is mounted on.

2. How far from the front of the platform is the front coal plate, and thus how far back is the raised bulkhead.

I've looked at three different Wild Swan loco profile books (2P, 3F, 4F), Illust Rev of Mid locos vol4, Mod Rlwys Dec 75 and the Summerson books, but I can't find the answer.

Alan Gibson market this variant I think, so maybe some one could measure one for me?

Thanks in anticipation.

Nig H

Some resources courtesy of the Midland Railway Society forum :

1) Drawing 22-9642 on page 37 of Midland Engines No. 2, the 3F book, shows quite a lot of the details you require.

2) A Die-line copy of 1 1/2” to foot scale Midland Railway drawing titled Arrangement of 3,250 gallon tender. Drawing No. 92-3703. Stamped BR (LMR) Chief Technical Assistant 7APR1964 J.F.Harrison. (Overstamped BR(LMR) Public Relations and Publicity Office, Euston).... which came to us courtesy of Raymond Gibson, and have made the scan available as a download from the Midland Railway Study Centre web site. It's a fairly hefty 14.3Mb and can be downloaded from this link….

http://www.midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk/documents/77-11807.jpg

www.midlandrailwaysociety.org.uk

• RMweb Gold

The Bob Essery drawing, which think is the one in RM, referred to above, shows the tool box to be 33" long, by 15" deep and 15" tall with rounded edges to the lid. The bracket is 21" front to back. The front of the coal-plate is 24" from the front of the tender-plate. I can see no bulkhead behind the toolbox.  It seems to project out over the coal area. There is, of course, the one at the rear of the coal space, at the back of the tender.

One word of caution, these measurements were taken from a photo copy of the original RM drawing. I was at the time converting Triang 3Fs to SDJR versions using K's kits of these tenders. I have measured the drawing against the printed dimensions and I am pretty confident that they remain to 4mm/1ft.

• RMweb Premium

The Bob Essery drawing, which think is the one in RM, referred to above, shows the tool box to be 33" long, by 15" deep and 15" tall with rounded edges to the lid. The bracket is 21" front to back. The front of the coal-plate is 24" from the front of the tender-plate. I can see no bulkhead behind the toolbox.  It seems to project out over the coal area. There is, of course, the one at the rear of the coal space, at the back of the tender.

One word of caution, these measurements were taken from a photo copy of the original RM drawing. I was at the time converting Triang 3Fs to SDJR versions using K's kits of these tenders. I have measured the drawing against the printed dimensions and I am pretty confident that they remain to 4mm/1ft.

Some resources courtesy of the Midland Railway Society forum :

1) Drawing 22-9642 on page 37 of Midland Engines No. 2, the 3F book, shows quite a lot of the details you require.

2) A Die-line copy of 1 1/2” to foot scale Midland Railway drawing titled Arrangement of 3,250 gallon tender. Drawing No. 92-3703. Stamped BR (LMR) Chief Technical Assistant 7APR1964 J.F.Harrison. (Overstamped BR(LMR) Public Relations and Publicity Office, Euston).... which came to us courtesy of Raymond Gibson, and have made the scan available as a download from the Midland Railway Study Centre web site. It's a fairly hefty 14.3Mb and can be downloaded from this link….

http://www.midlandrailwaystudycentre.org.uk/documents/77-11807.jpg

www.midlandrailwaysociety.org.uk

My listing has reference to Railway Moddeler for July 1964 if that is of any use. If you PM me your e-mail address I can send you a scan if you like.

Hello to you all,

Thanks for your replies. The July 64 RM drawing was useful but showed the original design before the modifications described in Midland Engines #2 pp41-43, which is what I am interested in. Drawing 22-9642 seems to be what I need (and Bob Essery and David Hunt referred me to it too) but when I compare the detail with some published pics, it doesn't look right. The toolbox and raised coal plate seem to far forward compared with photos. As far as I can see dwg 92-3703 is similar to the one in the book, 91-3629, the original design.

So I've decided to base my AutoCAD drawing on the best of the pics with some toolbox dimensions from 22-9642. No doubt new information will come to light after I've finalised my design.

Anyway, thank you again to you all for sparing your time to help me. I'm most grateful.

Regards,

Nig H

Archived