Painting Southern Region bufferstops

Hi!

Having built some Lanarkksire Modelling Supplies SR bufferstops, I'm not sure of their colour scheme!

Its the actual rail built buffer beam I need assistance with as opposed to the wooden beam type which have a 5 inch red stripe across the middle. I've painted them white, but I'm sure there should be some red on there somewhere!

The chosen period is mid 70s to mid 90s.

Thank you in advance,

G

Although pre-1970, I was looking into this, and found that, at least in the Brighton/South Coast area, bufferstops in yards were just black/rusty, without white or red stripes on the cross-board (or whatever the official term is), even though ones in station areas usually had the red stripe in the middle you mention.

The only help this would be to you would be to say, don't necessarily expect a red stripe especially if it's not a very important bufferstop. It depends what a search of photos throws up - the usual advice to model what you see applies.

(My search of photos, for instance, showed that what was sold as "SR bufferstop" or "LBSCR bufferstop" was not quite the same as what was in the location I was basing my model on)

Hi!

Having built some Lanarkksire Modelling Supplies SR bufferstops, I'm not sure of their colour scheme!

Its the actual rail built buffer beam I need assistance with as opposed to the wooden beam type which have a 5 inch red stripe across the middle. I've painted them white, but I'm sure there should be some red on there somewhere!

The chosen period is mid 70s to mid 90s.

Thank you in advance,

G

Hi retbsignalman,

The magazine British Railways Illustrated volume 8 June 1999 published a copy of the detailed charts from the British Railways: Southern Region Chief Civil Engineer's Department showing the painting of buffers.

It stated that: all buffer supports not in the vicinity of platforms to be tarred, other wise they were to be painted (no.3a) green. All buffer beams to be white (no.2) , with a 5" wide red (no.9) band. Lamps if attached to the buffer were to be painted black or painted white in sidings.

In some of the photos of southern three rail built buffers that I have seen over the years, the top and bottom rails were painted white with the middle rail painted red, but always very rusty

Regards

Bazza

I thought we had a similar query some time ago and I think I found a colour photo of rail built blocks painted red and white but can not find it again.

However I have found another black and white photo with a variation on the theme at Exmouth one red rail over two white

https://www.flickr.com/photos/gricerman/15105315054/in/photolist-p1NFUs-pFakTa-pDe9fx-pCu3Bq-pAPtsc-pR5oUn-pQDnJh-oTfEAG-oSSBD2-pNxmPq-pNxmN3-pvktvd-pLcbVu-pJBvZW-pHME7x-pr4BHc-pr4wTn-pr4wVX-pqdsh5-pq7gS9-pq7gQ5-pq7gPJ-ppjeyW-pFse34-pFfPpZ-pnN4Fy-pBM39m-pBM2YS-pmSwa5-pCT4mZ-pmDxHv-pCTm8K-pkVWwF-pkyCWF-pC3Zja-pzmebJ-piT7tG-pxKuYm-phKUQd-phKLJm-pzffo4-phjK11-phfSr2-puykXF-pubnc9-pcweqe-prakrQ-prakG9-psLvGu-p9Mvd6

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Not directly answering the query but here is a current red and white example,

when on a short break away this week I saw this set of blocks at Barnstaple at the end of the platform line,

this has been the end of the line since the last clay trains ran in 1982.

post-7081-0-73914400-1492693690_thumb.jpg

Barnstaple 18/4/2017

cheers

Hi!

Thank you all for your help. Next task: try to find a copy of BRI vol 8, June 99!

Ta G

It is all in the newly published "Southern Nouveau and the Lineside" (Irwell Press). I have one or two minor misgivings about the book as a whole but the inclusion of a more than complete set of Southern painting instructions is a real bonus.

It is all in the newly published "Southern Nouveau and the Lineside" (Irwell Press). I have one or two minor misgivings about the book as a whole but the inclusion of a more than complete set of Southern painting instructions is a real bonus.

Thats handy! My copy has just arrived at Waterstones. Just got to get off nights and collect it!

Ta everso G

Archived