Micro 90s SE-England N diorama

This is my first post upon this forum and my first permanent scenic N gauge project. This layout is truly micro at around 12x40cm

The single track project is designed to be set in late 90s in southern England and will mainly carry freight trains and DMUs.

I hope you like it, and also please feel free to offer ideas on improving the diorama (I am not quite happy with the grass). The diorama will with be completed with a hidden loop for operation. I also plan to have another diorama on the other straight side of the loop with an urban setting.

Many thanks!

post-31160-0-05751400-1486327069_thumb.jpg

post-31160-0-14434200-1486327126_thumb.jpg

Does anybody know of a good locomotive that would suit his layout ? It represents a small, outdated, single track branch-line set in 1980s or 1990s so the loco would presumably be a shunter of some sort. The loco must be low cost(are pre-owned locos ever any good?) and be able to run at low speeds smoothly and be suited in both rural and urban settings. Any ideas ?

Many thanks in advance if you can help!

Hi,

I think for a shunter it would have to be a class 08 in BR blue or railfreight grey livery.

Of course it doesn't have to be a shunter ( unless that's what you really want ), you could have any freight locomotive appropriate to the period as they were seen on branch lines too.

I look forward to seeing more.

Jerry.

Forgot to mention that I have bought second hand models before and never had a problem, if you buy from a reputable source you should have no problems, if you buy from a model shop insist you see it running, most shops have no problem doing this.

The class 08 or even class 04 BR blue are pretty good at slow speed.

Hope that's of some help to you.

Jerry.

Thanks a lot Jerry , yes I will look into the BR 08, it would suit the layout now that I think about it. Also buying second hand items from a physical shop sounds like a safer idea as you can test it/check it.

Archived