Bachmann factory weathering - removable?

Evening all,

I've recently purchased a factory weathered Bachmann Jubilee and was wondering if anyone knows if the weathering can be removed without resorting to t-cut - I.e if the loco is painted and printed normally before the weathering is applied and if I can simply polish it off.

It is unfortunately an instance whereby the only way I can get the correct combination of parts for the desired identity is to buy a weathered model and I would rather just strip the weathering than repaint the loco.

Thanks for any help,

• RMweb Gold

I don't think you can just 'polish it off'. There will be some elbow grease involved! I have succesfully removed factory weathering several times from both Bachmann and Hornby locomotives by using isopropyl alcohol (IPA) appiled and manipulated with a cotton bud (or two). Dip the cotton bud in the IPA and rub gently to the areas where the weathering is to be removed, obviously taking more care where there are vulnerable parts. You will find that the remaining paint will have a more glossy finish than if it were a model bought without weathering, though, so this might need to be taken into account.

By way of illustration I show here the result of removing factory weathering from a Hornby 'Grange' tender a couple of years ago. Although the model was subsequently re-weathered you can, hopefully, see what I'm trying to explain.

post-2194-0-68525400-1486372519_thumb.jpg

Hi Mick,

thanks for the info, it certainly answers my main question about the application process. Usually when renumbering a loco, I score the cabside number with a sharp knife and polish works away from underneath the printing to remove the number and is very subtle in application but requires a lot of elbow grease. Hopefully the same method minus knife should work but I will certainly be restoring to your method if it doesn't work. Oddly enough, the loco is fully lined but the tender is not, although the transfers I have do match the Bachmann lining.

Cheers,

• RMweb Gold

I appreciate you may be reluctant to use T-Cut but can I show you this? I had B1 61180 awaiting attention for ages, as I needed to renumber her as 61186, ideally in 1960-ish condition when she still had some TLC.  This was covered in a grey mist type weathering, I don't know if Bachmann vary their weathering or not.

I was pleasantly surprised when just a hint of T-Cut on a cotton bud removed the weathering lower down the boiler and left me with a 'smokey top' where the cleaners couldn't reach.  A hint of clear acrylic spray then gave me pretty much the effect I desired on the main body of the loco.  Work is not finished, I wouldn't have taken pics just yet if you hadn't been asking the question!

rev%20B1%20b%20800px_zpsrlf2msmg.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Bachmman printing (numbers and especially lining) is extremely fragile. Scrub with care! I wouldn't hope to get the weathering off a Bachmann loco without damage, and I'm amazed the B1 owner above has managed it! It may just be that some models are worse than others - the 2mt 2-6-0 and 4mt 2-6-4 are particularly fragile. 

Archived