Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Drill Flexidrive Problem

I've tried searching the forum for this problem with no success, but I can't believe at least some members haven't run up against it.

I have an Expo brand drill - they don't appear to make them any more - and then bought the flexidrive they advertise in their catalogue, specifically for the job of  cutting track - very handy, changed my life; the chuck is so much smaller that the disc goes through virtually at right-angles. I hung the drill itself on a makeshift stand, with the power cord knotted round a screw-in hook. The trouble is, it keeps wanting to rotate, following the motion of the flexidrive. It always twists the lead and if you're not careful, starts winding the power cord round itself. I should say that I always ensure the  flexidrive shaft is securely fixed in the chuck of the drill.  

The best I've been able to do is fix those little stick-on patches of Velcro on to drill and stand pillar, but it's not very satisfactory. The missus is getting a leetle bit tired of being summoned from her own business to come and hold the drill still every time I want to do a cutting job, and I can't help thinking there's a better way of making it behave itself.

• RMweb Gold

If you are able to post a photo of your drill and stand that might help.

Some initial thoughts...

What about fixing a small G-clamp or similar to the drill so that it bumps up against the stand and stops it rotating past a certain point?

Duct tape the drill to the stand?

Newtons 3rd. Law of Motion, 'to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction'. The rotating motion of the drill motor is divided between turning the chuck, inner shaft and bit one way and turning, in the opposite direction, the drill itself and the outer casing. If it is hanging freely by its power cord that is just what will happen.

As Teaky suggests, you need to firmly anchor the drill body so that it CANNOT turn. That might be by your wife holding it, or by clamping it firmly to a heavy or fixed object.

A proper drill stand, taped or cable tied to a chunk of wood etc.

Have you given the flexidrive any lubrication since purchase? These things are inherently draggy, and the more draggy they are the worse the reaction that you are noticing will be.

I have an equivalent combination of rotary tool and flexidrive and make much use of it for rail cutting for which it is ideal. The hanging ring on the back of the motor body limits the rotation as it comes up against the cup hook it hangs on with the first quarter turn of movement of the motor body.

Thanks so much to all respondents. It's like so many problems in life, isn't it? When someone gives you a simple solution - duct tape,  clamp,  zip tie - you think, it's  obvious;  but if it's so obvious, why didn't I think of it? 

Archived