Zimo Volume control

norman

It's easy to change the overall volume using CV266 but even better is the feature, that I've noticed recently, is to be able to ramp the volume up or down with function keys, usually F27 and F28.

I wonder if its possible to incorporate this feature in older projects of which I have a few?

Norman

• RMweb Premium

One of my colleagues has recently fitted a sound chip to his new O gauge Dapol Class 08. That is believed to be a Zimo chip.

He discovered last week that he has the provision to fade the sound in and out which is brilliant for trains entering and leaving fiddle yards.

I'd like to know which CVs cause that.

It's easy to change the overall volume using CV266 but even better is the feature, that I've noticed recently, is to be able to ramp the volume up or down with function keys, usually F27 and F28.

I wonder if its possible to incorporate this feature in older projects of which I have a few?

Norman

When all else fails read he manual.

OK CV396 and CV397 can be programmed with the F key to adjust volume.  So CV396=27 and Cv397=28 works for me - brilliant.

Norman

One of my colleagues has recently fitted a sound chip to his new O gauge Dapol Class 08. That is believed to be a Zimo chip.

He discovered last week that he has the provision to fade the sound in and out which is brilliant for trains entering and leaving fiddle yards.

I'd like to know which CVs cause that.

Ray,

This is a very long standing and useful feature of ZIMO sound decoders.

To allocate the operating F key:

CV313 = 100 + X, where X is the number of the key you wish to allocate eg F19 will be CV313 = 119

CV314 = Y where Y is the duration of the fade out/in effect in 1/10ths of a second i.e when value is 30, the sound will take 3 seconds to fade completely.

I'm surpised it was a 'discovery' it will probably have been mentioned in the User Notes and listed in the Functions List supplied. (Isuppose that depends who supplied the decoder, though).

Kind regards,

Paul

Norman,

When all else fails read he manual.

OK CV396 and CV397 can be programmed with the F key to adjust volume.  So CV396=27 and Cv397=28 works for me - brilliant.

Norman

Your post came in as I was typing a response.

What you say is true, it is covered in the manual.

However, this is a much more recent feature than the 'mute' function in my other post, so is only possible to programme if you either have a recent (ish) decoder already loaded with a firmware version which allows this feature, or you decoder software is updated. (All ZIMO decoders can have their firmware updated to allow this).

Assuming the frmware is V33.10 or later (read CV7 and CV65 if in doubt) there are 3 CVs to set to safely enable the volume adjustment keys.

CV395 sets the maximum volume. This is important as the mathematical max will produce damaging levels of distortion. I would recommend no higher than 120 unless you are sure your system cancope with more.

CV396 sets the 'Volume Down' key

CV397 sets the 'Volume Up' key

Almost all of my sound projects have Down on F27 and Up on F28 as standard.

Volume control and mute are separate and discrete features; either or both can be used in the same sound project.

Kind regards,

Paul

Norman,

Your post came in as I was typing a response.

What you say is true, it is covered in the manual.

However, this is a much more recent feature than the 'mute' function in my other post, so is only possible to programme if you either have a recent (ish) decoder already loaded with a firmware version which allows this feature, or you decoder software is updated. (All ZIMO decoders can have their firmware updated to allow this).

Assuming the frmware is V33.10 or later (read CV7 and CV65 if in doubt) there are 3 CVs to set to safely enable the volume adjustment keys.

CV395 sets the maximum volume. This is important as the mathematical max will produce damaging levels of distortion. I would recommend no higher than 120 unless you are sure your system cancope with more.

CV396 sets the 'Volume Down' key

CV397 sets the 'Volume Up' key

Almost all of my sound projects have Down on F27 and Up on F28 as standard.

Volume control and mute are separate and discrete features; either or both can be used in the same sound project.

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info I had not appreciated that this is a relatively new feature. I have used it this AM on a Heljan class 25 that was fitted last October and it works like a dream.  The guys at the club complain if it's too loud and this makes life a lot easier.  I bet my semi-detached neighbour will notice too.

With older decoders if the firmware is updated to this level does the sound project have to be reloaded too? 

Norman

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info I had not appreciated that this is a relatively new feature. I have used it this AM on a Heljan class 25 that was fitted last October and it works like a dream.  The guys at the club complain if it's too loud and this makes life a lot easier.  I bet my semi-detached neighbour will notice too.

With older decoders if the firmware is updated to this level does the sound project have to be reloaded too? 

Norman

Norman,

The operative word is 'relatively'. V33.10 was introduced part way through 2015, so anything after that should be OK (except for any 'old stock' sold later without firmware update). But in comparison with the mute function which was part of the standard set from around 2008, it is relatively recent.

I mention this aspect not necessarily for your benefit, as your ZIMOs will probably be within the correct tme period, there may be readers of this thread with older firmware who attempt to enable the feature buit fail as it is unavailable in their firmware version.

Changing the decoder software (firmware) will not adversely affect any sound project which is loaded, but will almost certainly enable many new features to be untilised - Swiss Mapping, Working Brakes, dynamic inertia (varies the value in CV3 depending upon how the throttle is operated) and so on.

I would recommend ZIMO users to update the firmware regularly to take advantage of new features which can 'refresh' older sound projects by adding new featres and controls. Your dealer will be able to do this for you, or ideally, buy or obtain the use of an MXULF which will allow you to do it yourself using free software downloads from www.zimo.at  

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Ray,

This is a very long standing and useful feature of ZIMO sound decoders.

To allocate the operating F key:

CV313 = 100 + X, where X is the number of the key you wish to allocate eg F19 will be CV313 = 119

CV314 = Y where Y is the duration of the fade out/in effect in 1/10ths of a second i.e when value is 30, the sound will take 3 seconds to fade completely.

I'm surpised it was a 'discovery' it will probably have been mentioned in the User Notes and listed in the Functions List supplied. (Isuppose that depends who supplied the decoder, though).

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks Paul

I have had cause to look through the Zimo manual on a number of occasions but had never spotted this feature. I know the requirement for a feature like this has been mentioned on a number of threads in the past but I've never seen it mentioned that Zimo decoders actually have it. Most comments that I've seen have been that it is desirable but not available. I now know better (at least as far as Zimo decoders are concerned).

Thanks Paul

I have had cause to look through the Zimo manual on a number of occasions but had never spotted this feature. I know the requirement for a feature like this has been mentioned on a number of threads in the past but I've never seen it mentioned that Zimo decoders actually have it. Most comments that I've seen have been that it is desirable but not available. I now know better (at least as far as Zimo decoders are concerned).

Ray,

Glad to have the opportunity to clarify, it may be helpful to others.

I imagine the posts you refer to were about another brand. I have been describing this ZIMO feature on ZIMO related threads for many years now. LOL

And it is always described in the User Notes which accompany my sound projects whether direct from me or from Digitrains. (or Rail Exclusive, or NG Trains or Ixion Models or Minerva Models or Little loco Company).

Kind regards,

Paul

Archived