RMweb

Ballast spreaders

By which I mean the perspex box type of thing that you pour your ballast into then simply whizz along your track for perfectly formed ballast.  Apparently.

Can anybody please tell me if any of these things might be expected to work well with Woodland Scenics fine ballast on Peco code 75 track?  I rather suspect that they all work best with chunky ballast on code 100 track, but I'd love to be wrong about that ...

By which I mean the perspex box type of thing that you pour your ballast into then simply whizz along your track for perfectly formed ballast.  Apparently.

Can anybody please tell me if any of these things might be expected to work well with Woodland Scenics fine ballast on Peco code 75 track?  I rather suspect that they all work best with chunky ballast on code 100 track, but I'd love to be wrong about that ...

Hi,

The Perspex boxes types types we (the Beggarwood Lane crew) have tried with SMP code 75 track dispensed too much ballast (but we were using 2mm scale Woodland Scenics ballast on 4mm 'scale' track). This resulted in much re-work to move the surplus ballast along the track and some ballast had to be hovered up.

Proses now do a dispenser box with adjustable height and rate adjustment -  I haven't bought one yet as it was >=£32 in the UK.

Whether it will work with very fine ballast and thin sleeper track  I do not know.

Regards

Nick

... Proses now do a dispenser box with adjustable height and rate adjustment -  I haven't bought one yet as it was >=£32 in the UK.

Strewth! 

Thanks gents.  Looks like I'll be doing it the old-fashioned way then ...

I get good use out of my ballast spreader.  I have the original (now basic) Proses version and in terms of building a shoulder, I find the finer the ballast the better.  However, I recently bought the "new improved" Woodland Scenics ballaster specifically to use with coarse ballast and it is completely and utterly useless.

Alun

• RMweb Premium

I use Mr Tappy Thing to spread the ballast. Handle of a screwdriver or a paint brush. Roughly apply ballast in the centre of the track then (gently) tap the rail, simple (first seen on Model Town, if you remember that). I use use it with a mix of fine and medium woodland scenics in EM.

Archived