Hornby tts flying scotsman fault

Powerhaul 70 Pey

Hello everyone. I have a problem with my Hornby tts sound flying scotsman. The sound works fine when turned on with f1 and drives OK with the sound altering due to speed. However, when the locomotive is stopped and you go to set it off again the locomotive does not move and sound is stuck on steam idle. I do not have a problem with any other locos. The strange thing is that if I turn off the Hornby select controller then back on the flying scotsman operates normally until stopped again when this scenario repeats itself. I assume that when I turn off the controller and back this resets the fault without moving the loco to a different position on the track points toward the wheels and track being clean enough. Has anyone else encountered similar facts please?

• 5 months later...

Hello everyone.  I am hoping someone could please me help fix my sons TTS sound Flying Scotsman as the fault I posted above has manifested into something greater.  The loco has now stopped driving although every sound function still operates.  It may move slightly every now and again but seems to trip the controller as if there is a short and the controller resets itself.  When a speed is set on the controller the sound changes as though it is ready to set off but the loco does not move 90% of the time  and the sound does not change as though the decoder has not sensed that the motor is moving.  I am suspecting the motor at fault.  Occasionally I get a short showing on the controller which then goes when the loco is lifted off the track.  I have tried to remove the TTS sound decoder and fit a blanking plug so the loco is in theory then a analogue loco but I just get a short on the controller at all times.

post-25512-0-92695700-1501017834_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-62083700-1501017882_thumb.jpg

post-25512-0-15953800-1501017917_thumb.jpg

Here are a few photos of the wiring of TTS sound decoder and motor if anyone can help fix this it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Peter

Capacitor is there so that should the DCC decoder be replaced with a blanking plug the loco still complies with electrical regulations. Hornby aren't to know that the loco will have the decoder installed from the day it's bought up to the day it's binned / recycled. In general there shouldn't be any need for electrical components between the decoder and the motor. It can cause issues work some decoder / motor combinations.

It sounds (pun intended) as if the motor is shot, or there's a problem with the wiring between the 8 pin socket and the motor.

Thanks for the post.  I think I have found a suitable replacement motor on the internet so I will order it and fit it, hopefully it will fix it.