La'al Green - R&ER Style O9

2A-Rail

I have been playing around with building a small Ravenglass and Eskdale inspired layout for a while now, mainly due to the fact I am building O9 stock so need somewhere to run it all on.

I've (perhaps foolishly) accepted two show invites for a layout that is currently only a bare baseboard with an oval of track on it, but it's more a foot up my backside to actually build the layout up.

I've chosen to model a station area based upon a few areas of the Ravenglass line, with some inspiration thrown in from other areas linked to Arthur Heywood. So far, I've drawn up plans for a locomotive shed and know that I'll need to build the station building to match. The buildings will not be Ravenglass themed, however they will still be linked.

Stock wise, I've got a part built model of River Esk and a part built Heywood 0-4-0, soon to be joined by a 15" version of a local 7 1/4" loco. Stock is being scratchbuilt upon Peco chassis, for ease of maintenance and price.

Will be working on the layout in the next few weeks so will keep everyone updated as I build it. 

Well tonight the first train ran on the layout! Rather fitting it was mostly made up of Heywood stock. Locomotive is still needing valve gear and detailing, first wagon needs painting and the last wagon (unit models) needs detailing.

32747201426_93e7119af3_c.jpg

La'al Green by 2A- Rail, on Flickr

31944464264_cb252e236f_c.jpg

La'al Green by 2A- Rail, on Flickr

Two locos so far, the red one has had it's dummy 5.5mm chassis removed and is becoming a O9 0-6-0. Chassis used is the Dapol 45XX.

I've started to compile a list of locomotives that will be used on the layout.

1. "River Esk" - on loan from R&ER, model is a 2A-Rail kit with Rodney Stenning buffers and Bachmann chassis.

2. "River Avon" - resident locomotive, freelance 2-6-2 in LMS style. Still to be built for layout

3. "Rufus" - based on 7 1/4" loco by Rugby MES, this has been redesigned as a 15" locomotive and as such is partially freelance. Was a favourite of mine as a child so I had to have a model of it.

4. Unnamed Heywood 0-4-0T - 2A-Rail.co.uk kit, based on Heywood locos. Still needs major work.

5. Kerr Stuart style 0-6-0T "Ayrshire", to be painted in G&SWR livery. Was a 5.5mm test print but body was too small, works well as a O9 locomotive however.

6. "River Swift" - 4-4-0 based on Roxey Mouldings Cyprus locomotive, will need new tender and some fittings will be changed.

There will be a few other locomotives but these will not be "resident" locomotives on the line. Did a bit of trial balls sting on the layout last night and it seems to have worked well, so will do some more tonight when I have the time.

Bit of ballasting today and this evening. Not really too impressive but got most of the visible part of the layout done, with the car park and siding done too. Between the points and the bridge is where the station will stand, still need to build the station building and shed.

32807264865_bf3e52c09b_c.jpgLa'al Green Ballasting by 2A- Rail, on Flickr

32807264015_1fbab65382_c.jpgLa'al Green Ballasting by 2A- Rail, on Flickr

32426635230_1c83ac4418_c.jpgLa'al Green Ballasting by 2A- Rail, on Flickr

Hopefully I'll crack on with the layout at good speed as I've just got the go ahead for another show.

Archived