Avonside. Liveries and the ROD

• RMweb Premium

Chris GNR of this Forum is doing a fantastic piece of work on an EM Avonside B3 (CSP, Agenoria) kit for Andy York and my Cannock Chase Military Railway layout called Tackeroo.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78399-tackeroo-the-cannock-chase-military-railway-project/&do=findComment&comment=1217957

I don't think it has been the easiest of builds and his work has far exceeded what might have been expected from the basic kit.

You will see in this 'industrial' sub forum recently Chris is trying to replace the castings.

My query is different.,  As he nears the point of completion my thoughts turn to livery. 

Brand new in 1916 the locomotive was purchased by the ROD.  In fact the ROD (Longmoor) took control of the chase railway in August of 1916 which was become the standard approach as many training camp railways were taken over by Longmoor that year).  Previously all of the operations and rolling stock had been supplied by collieries based in Hednesford.

The locomotive was not named and is referred to as Avonside No17.   Most of the ministries previous purchases had been for Longmoor.

So what Livery.  Old Gringo of this Forum has spoken to Mike Christensen (co author of the Longmoor railway books).  He feels there was no scheme so anything goes. On this basis, what is possible is that Avonside's standard livery was applied.  Out on the front line there were liveries and pre determined marking but on ROD lines in the UK no such criteria.  

What I don't know is what colour a brand new Avonside in the companies livery might be?   Ultimately, I will apply rule 1 and paint it the colour I think is best but it would be nice to know what colour they might have been as new in Avonside livery.  As long as I like it, that's the colour I will use.

We are modelling  the Autumn of 1917 so the locomotive will only be a year old so nice and tidy.

On a final note.  The Cannock chase military railway also operated an 0-6-0  Hudswell Clark 319 of 1889.  This later operated around the various Cannock collieries as 'Stafford'.

From photographs it appears identical to a small class of locomotives that HC supplied to Barry Railway.

This is the Barry Railway E class.

A kit was available from Redcraft but they seam to have disappeared.  Any one know if they are still around (I tried an email address but no response to date)

Andy

post-8705-0-20922100-1486719504_thumb.jpg

This may help give the lining scheme, it's a works photo of Ae1563/1908.

As far as I am aware standard Avonside livery was Mid Bronze Green lined black edged white, frames painted Indian Red lined  black edged white, and red buffer beams (I can't remember what the reference is for that red). However I may be wrong on the green and it may be Mid Brunswick Green, I'm trying to get confirmation.

• RMweb Premium

Chris GNR of this Forum is doing a fantastic piece of work on an EM Avonside B3 (CSP, Agenoria) kit for Andy York and my Cannock Chase Military Railway layout called Tackeroo.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78399-tackeroo-the-cannock-chase-military-railway-project/&do=findComment&comment=1217957

I don't think it has been the easiest of builds and his work has far exceeded what might have been expected from the basic kit.

You will see in this 'industrial' sub forum recently Chris is trying to replace the castings.

My query is different.,  As he nears the point of completion my thoughts turn to livery. 

Brand new in 1916 the locomotive was purchased by the ROD.  In fact the ROD (Longmoor) took control of the chase railway in August of 1916 which was become the standard approach as many training camp railways were taken over by Longmoor that year).  Previously all of the operations and rolling stock had been supplied by collieries based in Hednesford.

The locomotive was not named and is referred to as Avonside No17.   Most of the ministries previous purchases had been for Longmoor.

So what Livery.  Old Gringo of this Forum has spoken to Mike Christensen (co author of the Longmoor railway books).  He feels there was no scheme so anything goes. On this basis, what is possible is that Avonside's standard livery was applied.  Out on the front line there were liveries and pre determined marking but on ROD lines in the UK no such criteria.  

What I don't know is what colour a brand new Avonside in the companies livery might be?   Ultimately, I will apply rule 1 and paint it the colour I think is best but it would be nice to know what colour they might have been as new in Avonside livery.  As long as I like it, that's the colour I will use.

We are modelling  the Autumn of 1917 so the locomotive will only be a year old so nice and tidy.

On a final note.  The Cannock chase military railway also operated an 0-6-0  Hudswell Clark 319 of 1889.  This later operated around the various Cannock collieries as 'Stafford'.

From photographs it appears identical to a small class of locomotives that HC supplied to Barry Railway.

This is the Barry Railway E class.

A kit was available from Redcraft but they seam to have disappeared.  Any one know if they are still around (I tried an email address but no response to date)

Andy

Breaking news.  Redcraft are trading.  In 7mm they appear well stocked.  In 4mm they are missing some parts for the Barry E class but I am getting what they have.

Andy

Archived