GWR 1931 onwards flat corridor coach end drawing?

coachmann

This is fairly-standard mid-period Collett, 1928 (for a bow-ended composite E127):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99267-collett-bow-ended-standard-57-corridor-stock-coaches-for-2016/?p=2116665

If you are drifting into the '1930s', that encompasses different profiles, including narrow-roof 'cross-country' stuff, fat Rivieras, and 'flush-cantrail' (late-period) Collett.

This is fairly-standard mid-period Collett, 1928 (for a bow-ended composite E127):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/99267-collett-bow-ended-standard-57-corridor-stock-coaches-for-2016/?p=2116665

If you are drifting into the '1930s', that encompasses different profiles, including narrow-roof 'cross-country' stuff, fat Rivieras, and 'flush-cantrail' (late-period) Collett.

Yes I realise that of course. Coach profile isn't important, as we already have that due to the use of a standard extruded roof. What I am seeking is accurate positioning of steps and grab handles, which looked to be pretty well standard across the range of end profiles. I aim to build normal end-door day coaches including so-called 'Sunshine' stock.

Crop of 101632A for Lot 1535 - K.41 dated June 1935:—

post-26141-0-90493700-1486741461_thumb.png

See also "Official Drawings No.3 - Great Western Coaches" by John Lewis, Wild Swan, ISBN: 1-874103-42-9 for plans of D.124 L.1574 Aug.1936 & C.77 L.1593 Oct. 1937. For some reason the GAs don't show the short grabs - maybe they're on 99281A (no sign of that in the NRM's 'OPC' list).

If you're going into the BR era, there's the option of leaving the steps & curved grabs off and substituting a pair of tank-filling pipes that go over the roof & connect to the tank cover via a simple BSP elbow joint. This mod came in with the Hawksworth stock & was applied to a lot of coaches as they visited the Works. On Collett stock the end steps were unbolted and the nuts put back onto the captive bolts (unless the end got re-panelled, when the bolts were cut off flush with the framing).

Pete S.

Archived