What Have I Done To My Z21

Despatcher

I have had one of those days. I bought a second Z21 to run a new layout with. It arrived today so I set it up ....  and it didn't work. Checked. Checked again but nothing. Had power in track, I could cause a short, but no messages going to locos. Tried reading a CV and got the message "no connection to Z21".

As I have had another Z21 for a number of years that has worked perfectly without and fault or even a hint of one, I decided to check. Firstly I replaced my original Z21 with the new one and it worked. I then replaced the new old TP Link router with the new one and nothing. So, faulty TP Link and will contact the seller.

However, when I put the old Z21 and the old TP Link back together I am getting no response from the point motors or locos. All locos are DCC sound fitted. Nothing is working at all. The TP Link is working ok (well all the lights are flashing) and the blue light on the Z21 is on. Underneath the layout the bright light of the Hex Frog juicers are are all on. I thought i may have somehow fried all the decoders and motors of the 22 sound fitted and weathered locos, so I got a loco that was not on the layout out with the same result. Absolutely nothing. Perhaps I have fried the internal workings of both Z21s. As, if I swap them over agin I still get the same result. Nothing. I cannot read anything on the programming track as it is all greyed out.Sadly the battery has run out in my current measuring device but a thin wire across the track will cause a short. I suspect you will all tell me this is not a good idea. 

I have spent three and a half hours checking the connections but I think everything is as it should be. Just before I go into total meltdown can anyone see the blindingly obvious that I have missed please? I have saved the layout and thought about deleting the APP from my iPad and then installing it again. But other than that I have got to the stage where I have just not got a clue. 

Just had another go. On the main or the programming track I get the same message "no connection to a Z21". The problem would appear to be that the router and the Z21 are no longer talking to each other. Any command I send from the App is not getting to the Z21. How do I restore the connection? Any ideas?

Solved. I decided that if the router was not talking to the Z21, the only variable I had not checked was the LAN cable. I had checked every other wire. Many times. Taken them out of screw terminals. Put them back in. Tightened screws, etc, etc. Guess what ... changed the LAN cable and everything sprung into life. Guess that makes me a complete and utter idiot and please can I have the last 8 hours of my life back. It is a pity the obvious is not always, well ... obvious. I hate modelling!!!

Archived